Ewido or Boclean?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by tobamore, Dec 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobamore

tobamore Registered Member

Hello,
    Simple question, which is the all round better, Ewido or Boclean when used alongside nod32?
    I really do appreciate that the answer is nowhere near as easy as the question though, but your thoughts are much appreciated... :D

PS I use TDS3 as on demand too.

2. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi tobamore,

I use both and I can tell you this much:

1) Neither has caught any trojans since my system has been pretty clean once I installed KAV 4.5 and ProcessGuard 3.0.
    2) Dispite the fact that they haven't caught anything, I would still purchase one, and would continue to purchase upgrades of at least one of them.
    3) BOClean requires slightly less resources on my XP SP2 machine.
    4) Both provide excellent support - though if you purchase BOClean, I would recommend purchasing directly from NSClean as opposed to a discount vendor like Compushop. There is a difference in the support you get, but I will not get into it here.
    5) Both provide very frequent updates which have been flawless on my machine.
    6) Ewido has detected some cookies in its on-demand scan. BOClean does not have a comparable scan at this time.
    7) There have been discussions of the Flux trojan. The conclusions of these discussions are very unclear to me, but this thread may interest you:

http://boardadmin.bo.funpic.de/viewtopic.php?t=51

From where I stand, it is a choice between slightly better resource usage (BOClean) and slightly better detection using on-demand scanning (Ewido). They both are very friendly and run alongside other protection software with no problems. I have tried them with ZoneAlarm Pro, McAfee, NAV, Giant AS, NOD32, and of course each other.

I am afraid that it is almost a coin toss, so if you are really on the edge - toss a coin. There is really nothing more that you can do. But whichever way the coin toss turns out, you will be getting a good program.

Rich

Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  3. Dab

Dab Guest

Any of the two would be a good choice. If a file scanner is important to you then Ewido is the only one out of these two that has a file scanner. If it's resident protection only that is important to you then they both do this. BOClean uses less resources, so this could be critical on an older machine or one that is not top grade. If you have a fast pc then it really is down to your own choice. Try Ewido for free and see what you think. BOClean has no trial but you get your money back guaranteed if you are not satified.

4. nameless

nameless Registered Member

Ask 100 different people, get 100 different answers.

I own and have used both. BOClean is much easier on the CPU, but it has disadvantages. I don't trust it very much, partly because it's awfully easy to terminate. If I can do it with a little command line process killer utility, why couldn't a trojan variant do it as well?

And here's where I depart from most, if not all, other people here. I have received excellent responsiveness from the Ewido people. My issues haven't always been resolved, but at least I don't get ignored. When I've sent support requests for BOClean, I've been ignored (and I do mean totally ignored) on at least two separate occasions. I don't care if I'm the only person on the planet this has happened to; it did happen, so I'm saying so.

5. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Actually there is a little bit more to Ewido than has been mentioned above. Quite apart from the scanning features, it also has an Analysis section which enables you to keep track of startups, what connections are being made to the net and also running processes. This latter is important in that it has a multiple 'kill' facility; so if you have two or more nasties working together as a team you can terminate all the processes simultaneously, so they do not have a chance to resurrect each other. This is something you cannot do with Task Manager or, indeed, Process Explorer.

Some other tools (such as WinPatrol) also enable you to do this, but it is potentially a most useful function.

I cannot speak for BoClean, as I do not use it, but I can say that I'm happy with Ewido which is a fast improving prog.

6. quexx88

quexx88 Registered Member

Another satisfied ewido customer here!

They do have a trial on their site, www.ewido.net Oh, and there's a holiday discount too! I wish I got that :(

I don't think BOclean has a trial version, though.

7. muf

muf Registered Member

Simple answer. You can trial Ewido for free. Install it and see if you like it. Then if you want to try BOClean there is no trial available but you can purchase it, and then try it for a week or so. By this time you will have got a feel for which one suites your needs. If Ewido is your preference then just get a refund off BOClean. They refund very quickly with no problems. Otherwise stick with BOClean. See, that's easy isn't it? ;)

Just a word of caution. You are better off doing it this way as many people here have a habit of brainwashing you into choosing their anti-trojan of choice(You know who you are :p ). At the end of the day it's up to you, not them. 'YOU' are the one that has to use it on 'YOUR' system, not them.

muf

Last edited: Dec 3, 2004
  8. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Boclean is working well for me so far. I had never used it before. I will say there are certain things that will make it more desirable with the release of their next version. Kevin is very honest, as this thread shows. He clearly states that if you have to choose between his own Boclean and ProcessGuard to go with PG.

9. nameless

It's not "easy" for everyone to charge $40 (or whatever BOClean is costing these days), and then hope for a refund. Oh, I know, the refund is a "sure thing", but I've seen an awful lot of sure things go down the toilet in my days.

And this whole lovely experience leaves out the burning question... Which one simply detects better? I can't answer, personally, since I've never honestly come across a trojan, but there are so many people here who are completely careless, you'd think we'd have a definitive answer on this by now.

10. muf

muf Registered Member

So you have heard examples of people that have been refused their money back? No? Thought not. That's the way, just make things up as you go along.

I purchased IEClean from them, didn't like and got my money back within 24 hours. I seem to recall John2g also claiming a refund for the same application without any problems. So, lets hear your examples then?

muf

11. nameless

Did I actually say that Privsoft has refused refunds? No? Thought not. That's the way, just make things up as you go along.

My point was that things can go wrong, even when everyone is being honest, and people are funny creatures besides. I've been screwed too many times to trust almost any process, or any individual, completely with my money.

12. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

You are soo funny in all your posts..just bad mouthing..not much back up..like it is some personal experience you either can't get over or your just not sure really happened. And what you bring to the party is mostly fud on your own part. Or reading what others have thought they could do with BOClean.

yer trying to get your own "sky is falling attitude" mixed up with other peoples reality. :D

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55588

Last edited: Dec 4, 2004
  13. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

OK gents; let's be sure to keep the discussion on track - that is Ewido and BO Clean - and refrain from any personal stuff.

14. nameless

I don't understand why there was a link provided to https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55588 *. I bought BOClean a long time ago, and never requested a refund for it. That has nothing to do with this topic.

But OK, I will rephrase to aid the comprehensibility for those who need it: A lot of people prefer try-before-you-buy software, rather than buy-it-and-hope-it-works-out-but-if-not-go-through-the-refund-hassle sales scheme. Even if the refund is a sure thing, it's a hassle to buy and then request a refund, and then verify that the refund was properly credited.

I don't care what commandment I broke by having the stones to speak my honest mind here about someone's pet security vendor, but to me, it figures into the question of which product is preferable. And I've seen a lot of other people pass up on BOClean for the same reason.

And that's not "FUD", it's common sense.

[* Primrose seems to think that this thread "proves" that I had not tried to contact the BOClean people since August of 2003. That's not the case. I hadn't, in fact, contacted them about the install issue I posted that thread about (mainly because I didn't care very much about it), but I did try to contact them on several other occasions. Sometimes I got a reply (generally, when the questions were easy), sometimes I didn't (when the questions weren't so easy). This is indeed all beside the point of whether shareware is preferable to buy-and-refund-ware.]

15. quexx88

quexx88 Registered Member

I thought the lack of a trial version was to cut down on piracy?

16. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

As Detox said, this thread is a comparison of Ewido and Boclean, not trials or moneyback guarantees. Please stick to the original topic.

No offense intended.

snowbound

17. Primrose

That link posted to your thread illustrates that you came to the Wilders forum to complain about your inability to install BOClean 4.11.001 rather than contact the vendor or even post in one of the two forums they have and frequent. It further proves that you surely had no contact with them for support from the time you got that email in August of 2003 for a replacement app until the dates on those posts around 20 Nov 2004.

But both Paul and I suggested you do just that in any case.

Also the only reasons you did then see Nancy Post in your thread is that I contacted her. She had not heard from you at that point.

So I figure it this way. Not only have they given you good service in spite of the fact you rather get "service" with a post at Wilders..you also have other people looking after to you to help you get it sorted out.

Above in your post you complained about the lack of service from BOClean and in other Posts.

I think they bent over backwards for you. That is Service.

I think Ewido is a fine product and getting better each day..I have tested it and liked it..I do not use BOClean..never have. :) I run sandboxes and virtual modified HoneyNets. So not really in the frame of mind as a home users who needs protection.

18. snowbound

~sigh~

Are we done now?

I might be wrong but is the topic not about the performance of Ewido and Boclean?

snowbound

19. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

As Detox and Snowbound have already noted, and as explicitly requested at the start of this thread,
    @ nameless & primrose:

It's obvious that you disagree on some subjects here, and neither of you appear willing to alter your positions. There's nothing wrong with that, but it does mean that it's probably time to agree that you will simply disagree on these matters. That should be particularly the case since they are not the subject of this thread.

Now, if you wish to expand on the relative performance attributes of BOClean vs. Ewido, let's continue on with that discussion.

Thanks.

Blue

20. Primrose

Then I will be the first one to tell the original poster that if he/she already has TDS-3..then it is my opinion they do not need either Ewido or BOclean with NOD-32.

They have enough and should start looking into Javacool's applications and call it a day. ;)

21. snowbound

For what it's worth, i agree. ;)

Excellent idea. :cool:

snowbound

22. Primrose

So really take a close look at Wilders Securtiy Forums and the Mix of products and their Indvidual forums you find here..they all work together..it is a complete package of Security Applications, keep them updated and any user can feel secure.

Use them all and have fun on the WWW. :eek:

23. Starrob

Starrob Registered Member

Generally, I hate the "What product is better?" threads mostly because is generally starts arguments and in the end I don't think it is all that useful to the one trying to determine which product is important to their system.

Generally, people on most security forums (actually most forums in general) are very opinionated. Many people choose a security product for whatever initial reason and then almost create a religion or cult around it. i think some people almost absorb it as part of their personalities.

I think that is the reason why if someone gives a critical view of a piece of software that others seemingly feel attacked and must come to the defense of the software company. Generally, I can understand why developers might defend their product. The developers have a financial interest in making certain that falsehoods are not circulated about their product.

Why the end users of the product become so emotionally or personally involved in this puzzles me. I have learned over time to detach my emotional links to particular products and try to analyze products scientifically.

I feel people could probably make better choices of software by determining which criteria is most important to them in a particular piece of software.

I feel much better answers would come forth if questions were framed this way....."I am looking for a scanner to compliment NOD32. Here is the specific set of criteria I am looking for in a scanner _________,etc...My operating system is_____. My computer use is as follows (Computer use could be safe surfer or it could be lots of p2p downloads or IRC use or a lot of go to Hacker sites or cracker sites or something simple like "I just use the computer to just email"). Which scanner best meets these criteria?"

For instance, if the user just uses it just for email and not much else on Win98 system then that eliminates a few AT's that don't operate on Win98 and maybe this type of user would also like the AT to have strong worm protection also. The discussions could then be more on the features that each product has rather than the current:

"Product A is the best!!!!"

(Given with the attitude of all you other guys products suck). In my opinion, there is not a big difference in the top 5 products. The biggest difference between the products is that some work better in certain situations than others. The best thing to do is to accurately find the situation you are in and determine which scanner bests meets that situation.

As for Ewido and BoClean. BoClean is a memory scanner. Ewido is both a file scanner and memory scanner. If you are asking which memory scanner is best...that is yet to be determined. As far as I know there is no independent objective test that has put them side by side and see which memory scanner detects more than the other.

Even if there were such a test, it would do little more than start a flame war as the thread would drift off into a argument about the objectivity of the reviewer or the testing methods. The winning side would feel their point was proved and the losing side would begin attacking the author of the test results. Just look at any thread where there is "independent testing". Many people disregard evidence that they disagree with.

I wish there were several testers that did this type of service for AT's because looking at three or four different sources, one could get a more accurate idea about what is really going on.

Even if Ewido and BoClean were tested in this way, I doubt that the difference in detection would be that great to say one was vastly superior than the other.

The biggest differences are probably in other areas like one of the scanners appears to use less resources than the other but on the other hand the other scanner costs less and is more affordable than the other. There are many advantages and disadvantages to each and it is just a simple choice of what features suit you best.

I tend to do a lot of research in this area and there are about 5 scanners that I will eventually choose for about one or two spots on my computer. Most of that decision depends on the amount of development the AT company is putting into developing alternative methods to signature based scanning but that is for another thread....

Oh, well....let me leave everyone to their arguing....

Starrob

Last edited: Dec 5, 2004
  24. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Starrob,

Excellent perspective and a healthy approach to these things.

Of course, you can do this analysis and still find yourself sampling between a limited number of options. With that in mind, imagine the dilemma faced by a consumer who has not figured out, or perhaps even considered, an objective set of criteria upon which to make a final decision.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.