Ewido - now hangs system....

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by ChrisP, Oct 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

I have been using Ewido (registered) for a few weeks now with no problems. I use Acronis to save an image of a fresh system with all the apps etc installed. I recently restored this fresh image - and found the system repeatedly hung when booting up. I worked out it was Ewido crashing the system - but I cant understand why as it worked OK before. If I disable Ewido guard, it tries to update but does not but leaces a message in the update box saying "Package size ==0" If I try to open the main programme it wants me it cant find the database. If I do a manual update it says an update is available, but then says "Packager size ==0"

I have been forced to uninstall Ewido (I have tried installing it again - but it crashes the system) I have run a registry cleaner etc - but the outcome when I run it is the same.

I contacted Ewido several days ago about this, but they have not bothered to reply. I guess it is a case that they have got my money now...

Any Idea how I can sort this out - or how to get Ewido to resopnd to my question?

Cheers

2. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

that is weird cause I been using True Image now for quite some time and I do not experience any issues with it. I use even the boot function (in dos) from true image and allready used it. one time I had a corrupt mbr and I fixed it using dos again: fixmbr together with fixboot and that did the trick. but after that it worked OK. I still wonder if Ewido was the cause

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2004
  3. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

Ok...

The reason why you haven't got a response from our support yet is that we are currently installing a new support ticket-system for faster response times and are also heavily preparing the release of the 3.0 version...

The problem with the updater... Could you please try to reach update.ewido.net with your web-browser? Does it display a big, orange "e"? We moved our update-server to a new provider some days ago and unfortunately not all DNS-(caching-)servers got the new address yet...

4. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

Yes, it does display the big "e"

Why is ewido crashing my system?

5. Infinity

you could have had a corrupt image. that happens sometimes. did you installed some other software in the meantime (after the image?). did you made your image in the secure zone?

6. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

Evererything works fine other than ewido - The image is in the secure zone - I have checked it and it is fine.

7. Infinity

the same way I have then. I did a fix mbr and a fix boot and it worked after that. did you get a very short error (very fast, allmost not visible) about mbr, btw?

if not, then that sucks. the only thing I would definately try is an older (less bloatware) version of true image. (6o_O)

8. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

fixmbr together with fixboot - Im not sure what these are - how would I check this or do this? - Since the problems with ewido I have converted from NTFS to FAT32 using Partition Magic - but problem remains

9. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

Oh yes - Im waiting for some support from ewido themselves.

10. peter.ewido

I'm from ewido... Please check your private messages, thx ;)

11. Infinity

yes I know, I should have mentioned it before, sorry for not have done this.

take your windows cd rom and take repair (not install) then when you enter the "dos-zone" :D give the number of your startup partition (mostly partition C=1) then give the administrator passw. (sometimes blank :D )

then type in: fixmbr and choose yes
    then type in: fixboot and choose y(es)

and reboot. that made my system boot up again. and since I am testing the ewido beta (v3), I formatted, installed TI again together with the beta, and the problem didn't came back.

just a small note: the betaversion is very stable at the moment and I had no issues with it, and certainly not with True Image.

but corrupt images do happen and my personal opinion in this matter is how many times do we try to use the built in system restore and it doesn't worko_O that happens quite a lot for various reasons. the same percentage goes for true image. a handy thing is the built in image verifyer. but even then sometimes it misses a sector...

Inf.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2004
  12. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

I have the same problem, it worked well before I went away for a few weeks, now when I try to update it says ''package size ==0'' and wont update. I havent changed anything else at all.
    Gordon

13. Infinity

try to delete the sigs and update again, maybe a corrupt sigs download. or what it could be is they are working on a new improved server (faster-smaller downloads) so could be that. but one time I had that, deleted the sigs and updated again. (manually if you prefer) and you should be good.

14. peter.ewido

We're aware of this problem but unfortunately have no clue what's causing it.
    Could you please give us some more information about your system and ISP?

15. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

My system is XP Home with all updates. I also run Spyblocker, Adaware Pro, F-Secure 5.42, Bestcrypt Kazaa Lite K++. My ISP is NTL in the UK. I use an SMC EZ Connect USB/Ethernet Series Converter tohook up to the set top box.

It looks to me it is a case that if ewido has not ben updated in a while it will do this (eg, me restoring an image that was a few days or so old)

Since you are unable to resolve this problem for me (you acknowledge there is a problem and also that you cant resolve it - and also that the application is currently useless in its current state) when will you be offering me a refund of the money I paid for the licenceo_O

16. Infinity

I cannot see how ewido could cause this when not updating everyday. you must explain this to me if you will. cause imgaging means the whole system (even the sigs/reg/windows files/even downloaded files) I remain saying a corrupt image could have done this. This happend to me even when I had not ewido yet.

Personaly I cannot see what could cause this, at my machine it is working good. I suggest waiting for the upcoming upgrade, it should not take that long anymore :)

17. peter.ewido

ChrisP: believe me, we WILL find the cause for it, you are (un)fortunately not the only one to have this problem, in fact several hundred users have the same problem with the new update-server. we just need to know what you all have in common and it will be fixed.

18. Infinity

is ewido updating using a proxy for updating, Fish? cause kaspersky does it too and it is known that it could conflict while updating.

19. peter.ewido

ChrisP: Is it maybe now working? We changed some header-information from our server to avoid proxy- and router-problems...

20. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

Hi Fish. Im at work at the moment so cant test it but will give it a go when I get home. I hope this works.

21. ghodgson

Dear Fish 25, thanks. I have win XP HOME with NIS and NAV, also Spyware blaster, Spybot [teatimer on] and ad aware and spyware guard. But nothing has changed since I last updated successfully 1 month ago. Now it wont update. Have just tried to update again a few moments ago and it still wont update. Will try delete the sigs and try again.
    Gordon

22. ghodgson

pS My server is FREESERVE in the UK

23. peter.ewido

package size == 0?

24. ghodgson

Dear All , Just tried deleting the sigs and updating again but it still doesnt work and cannot update.
    Gordon

25. ghodgson

Dear Fish , correct package size==0
    Gordon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.