Ewido free V Adaware SE Pro

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Albinoni, Dec 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

Out of the two above which one would you reccomend ? Also I thought Ewido was a paid version and not free, whats the diff. between the two ?

Also does Ewido free support real time scanning ?

2. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Dear Albinoni, I would recommend using both as probably a lot of people here do already, as I do [ I also use A-squared and Spybot]. But only use one for real time scanning, you dont need 2 in real time.
    You have hit on the difference between the paid and free versions of Ewido, [real time scanning]. You only get real time scanning for the 1 month trial period, after that you need to buy a license, to continue with real time.
    Gordon

3. Albinoni

Hi Gordon, this is what I use atm:

MS Antispyware
    Spybot S&D
    Adaware SE Pro 1.06
    A2 Free Edition

For AV

NOD32 and Bitdefender 8.0 Free Edition for 2nd backup AV

For Firewall:

ZA Pro 6 (latest version)

Is this enough for protection ?

4. Dear Albinoni, I am having trouble logging in for some reason. However, you sound to have more than enough protection. Av is good. But about anti mal/spyware, how many are running in real time? Do you have Adaware's adwatch up and running, as well as MS antispyware in real time?
    Really you only need 1 in realtime, use the others for on demand scanners. Regarding preference for a real time scanner Ewido and A-squared are both very good, but MS antispyware is free, and if you have already a paid version af Adaware with adwatch running, I would stick with those rather than spend more money. Having several 'real time scanners' running at the same time will only slow down your PC and may cause conflicts.
    Gordon

5. Albinoni

Hi Gordon here's to answer your Q's:

1. I have got Adaware SE Pro 1.06 installed but I dont have the Adwatch up
    and running, this is because I use Spybots Tea Timer in which I presume is
    similar.

2. Yes I do have MS Antispyware in real time. But again Spybot also in RT.
    3. I do have the Free version of A2 but not sure if this supports RT ?

You are correct when you say having more than one running in RT, which would be Spybot, MS Antispyware and Adaware SE Pro 1.06. But like I said I've disabled the Adwatch in Adaware so I'm not 100% sure if this would also disable the real time scanning as well.

Out of what I've got above that supports RT scanning which one would you use and keep for RT scanning.

6. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Dear Albinoni, Got my log in sorted. Back to your question, as far as I am aware, disabling adwatch is disabling Adaware's real time scanning protection. Correct me if I am wrong but I think adwatch is the only reason for paying for Adaware. ? Everything else is available in the free version.
    Ewido and A-squared are similar in that you have to pay for real time scanning after the 1 month trial. There are those who like either programme equally as much.
    I would keep your MS anti spyware [as it is free] along with Spybots tea-timer for registry change protection. Do you use Spybots immunisation feature for Internet Explorer ?, assuming you use IE?? If you dont- you should.
    Use Ewido and A squared for on demand backup scanners.
    I have a similar setup with the addition of Spywareguard and spywareblaster. Both free and very good. Only spywareguard needs to start at bootup. Spywareblaster sets 'killbits' for preventing bad downloads. They are both freely available.
    I havent had any 'crap' on my PC for a long time now because of these progs.
    Gordon

7. Albinoni

Back to your question, as far as I am aware, disabling adwatch is disabling Adaware's real time scanning protection. Correct me if I am wrong but I think adwatch is the only reason for paying for Adaware. ? Everything else is available in the free version.

I didn't know that by disabling the Adwatch in the Pro version of Adaware SE 1.06 also disabled the RT scanning. My reason why I dont use the Ad Watch is because I use Tea Timer in Spybot so thought having two Ad Watches really isn't necessary. Also as far as I know the paid pro version of Adaware offers a bit more other stuff that the Free one hasnt got.

Ewido and A-squared are similar in that you have to pay for real time scanning after the 1 month trial. There are those who like either programme equally as much.

I am only currently trialling the Ewido but do have the free version of A2 in which I use as a On Demand scanner. But again I also use Spybot, Adaware SE Pro, Ewido and MS Antispyware as on demand scanners as well, meaning now and again I would do On Demand scans.

I would keep your MS anti spyware [as it is free] along with Spybots tea-timer for registry change protection. Do you use Spybots immunisation feature for Internet Explorer ?, assuming you use IE?? If you dont- you should.

Yes I do use the TT from Spybot all the time and have noticed those small reg. changes and Yes I also do use the immunisation from Spybot re my IE 6, but again now and again I also use Firefox as an alternate browser. Also like I mentioned before is Tea Timer and Adwatch (from Adaware) the same thing. If Spybot is also a RT scanner than is should also have an ad-watch in it.

I have a similar setup with the addition of Spywareguard and spywareblaster. Both free and very good. Only spywareguard needs to start at bootup. Spywareblaster sets 'killbits' for preventing bad downloads. They are both freely available.

Yes I do have these two as well, I think its Spyware Blaster I installed and guard I removed or vice versa, but wasn't really quite sure what they both did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.