Ewido creates performance hit when using Skype

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by keelta, Apr 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keelta

keelta Registered Member

I have just started using Skype. I have had some problems with audio quality - largely now resolved. However, I discovered that my CPU usage has been high when using Skype. Analysis has shown that Skype uses about 50% of my CPU. Total CPU, however, rises to 80-100%. Much of this increase is due to an increase in CPU being used by Ewido and CounterSpy.

This is significant because audio quality degrades when CPU usage excedes about 80%.

So, any ideas as to why Ewido & CounterSpy use so much extra CPU when Skype is on a call? Anyway around it? Will the effect be minimised at the next release?

I am on Ewido 3.5.

keelta o_O

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, keelta

Welcome to Wilders and Ewido anti-malware Forum

It might be because when you have Skype running your Computer becomes a Server.

Also I think that [:doubt: ] Skype is made by the same people that made [make] Kazza :ninja: .

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. keelta

keelta Registered Member

Hi Mr Quest,

Thanks for your observation.

Yes, you are correct. My ZoneAlarm settings show me that Skype is a server. However, when I am NOT on a call CPU for Skype is 0.

Not that I repeat my tests, I can find no evidence (now) that Ewido is using any significant CPU. I'm sure it was using lots of CPU was last week(!) - or so I thought. It IS clear that CounterSpy is using lots of CPU - independant of my use of Skype. So when on calls I am taking out CounterSpy - but leaving in Ewido. It is difficult to be clear about any improvement in audio quality as it is so subjective.

Again, you are right that Skype came from the authors of Kazza. I seem to remember there were concerns about this service. Skype does not seem to be affected by malware - but I like to keep my security up.

Thanks

Keelta

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.