ewido boot issue

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by AShaR, May 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AShaR

AShaR Registered Member

When I reboot my pc, ewido is usually the first icon to appear in my sys tray, but lately I have noticed that when it appears, a small red 'x' flashes on the yellow icon then disappears. Almost as if the programme is being turned off but then coming on regardless. I am sure this didn't happen before, is this a sign that something is maybe interfering with the start up?

2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Same here ;)

That only happens if I'm too quick logging in after I switch on the machine. Try allowing the computer to initialize itself before log-on.

Could happen if you have changed AVs, or have some other new process in the sys tray, that requires longer to get going at boot-up.

3. zcv

zcv Registered Member

4. AShaR

AShaR Registered Member

Thanks for the link to that programme, is it freeware? I am pretty sure that even if I delay logging in the same thing happens but I will keep a closer eye next time.

cheers.

5. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Hi Ashar, I never experienced this either. Since when is this happening?

6. AShaR

AShaR Registered Member

hard to say really infinity, as I leave the pc on for long periods and only shut it down very rarely. I can't pinpoint which changes I might have made which started this happening, but like I said, it's only a small 'x' which flashes briefly then ewido loads as normal in the sys tray. It may well be all the programmes loading on start up which are causing this as I recently re-installed my printer which always takes ages to load up and possibly interferes with other programmes as well. I had taken the old version out of loading at start up but an updated software driver is now back in there and it might be that is the reason.

7. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

Maybe loading the signatures now takes longer (more singatures, new programs loading at startup etc.)?

8. AShaR

AShaR Registered Member

Maybe. I had hoped you knew the answer but seems like you are asking me? Is ewido programmed to flash a small red 'x' in it's sys tray icon if that happens?

9. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Several programs use the "red X" to symbolize that the program is still loading the signatures or database and will disappear to the standard icon once they are loaded and the "guard" portion is fully functional. Another program that does this is TrojanHunter. There is nothing to worry about here. As databases get larger, they of course take longer to load. The "red X" is just telling you they are still loading and once it disappears, the "guard" portion of the program is fully functional. Since ewido added so many signatures to its database recently, the "red X" is just reflecting the longer time that it takes them to load.

HTH ;) ...

10. feddup

feddup Registered Member

I've noticed the exact same issue. I'm not sure when it happened. I'd guess a month ago. Ewido's icon always appeared first now it appears fourth or fifth. It shows up with a red X for a few seconds then normalizes. The 3.5 beta does the same thing. Puzzling!

11. AShaR

AShaR Registered Member

Thanks very much, glad you cleared that up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.