Ewido being used to circumvent parental controls

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by Wharmaster, Mar 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wharmaster

Wharmaster Registered Member

I was using Ardamax keylogger to monitor activity on my family's computers. My son has discovered that ewido removes Ardamax. I've looked under your compatibility list, and all I see are firewalls, anti-virus software, and the like. Are you throwing out the baby with the bath water here?
    Any suggestion on a keylogger, or parental monitoring suite that I might be able to use that IS compatible with ewido?

2. JonPaulOnLine

JonPaulOnLine Registered Member

I use K9 Web Protection by BlueCoat
    http://www.k9webprotection.com/

on four computers & it works G R E A T with ewido and everything below

3. Wharmaster

yeah, K9 is ok as a site restriction utility, but afaik, does not function as a keylogger, and is easy to circumvent.
    My son is 15, and takes after me. He knows computers VERY well.

4. Wharmaster

I'm wondering how it is that a free to download/use utility such as ewido can legally target programs that require license purchase? Ardamax cost me a bit of change to purchase and install, and worked great with all other virus/malware scanners, as it is a legitimate utility.
    Maybe the makers of ewido need to either think about an exclusion for purchased software such as this, or maybe start re-imbursing people for their licenses?

5. steveke

steveke Registered Member

Wharmaster

If you are thinking Ewido should exclude Ardamax from being detected on scans-then I must disagree.

While Ardamax has legit uses-it can also be used for illegit purposes-How is an anti-malware program to know whether you knew it was installed?

If all anti-malware programs had an exclusion for this keylogger, then anyone who wanted to spy on you could install it and go undetected.

If someone had installed this on my computer without my knowledge (Ardamax does run hidden)-I would want to know it was there.

Ewido does not prevent the program from working-it points out that a keylogger is present.

I did a Yahoo search and immediately found many anti-malwares that defined this as possible spyware-as well they should-because it has spyware capabilities.

Any program that is supposed to track keyloggers-but would not find this one-would be useless

6. Wharmaster

You're missing the point entirely.
    ANY software that can be used to log/monitor family computers for legitimite reasons COULD potentially be used for malicious purposes.

But therein lies the problem, you see. Ewido, as a FREE to use program, strips the rights of those of us who PAY for monitoring software.

If I buy a gun to defend my house, and someone comes along and removes the firing pin because it COULD be used for malicious purposes, they are NOT in the right.

And they now OWE me a functional gun.

Not to mention what ewido is doing to the businesses that produce these security tools. A free to use product has made their software worthless. Why would someone pay for their software, knowing that someone else could use a free program to circumvent it?

Finding and removing trojans, spyware, and legitimite malware is great. But when you lump legitimite security tools (weather they COULD be used for illigitimate purposes or not) which people have paid for with their money, you're crossing a line.

What LEGAL right does ewido have to destroy my purchased software?

In fact, I think I'll investigate the legalities of this. I'm curious now. I'd certainly be pissed off if I paid for a security camera system for my house, and someone came in and spray-painted over the lenses because they COULD be used for the wrong purposes.

7. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I'm wondering first of all why in earth you need to monitor your relatives!

security tools....yep you could buy some "gold" rootkit for your own legitimate purpose .. the possibility to exclude certain programs/folders/exe's/.... will only be a fact from the next release.

if my father puts a monitoring program I'll use Ewido for removing it .. got my own rights too and therefore Ewido is the right answer.

What if you were on the other side :D someone monitoring you? ..
    You can invest all you want .. Ewido does what it says, it stops keyloggers/spyware/whatever ware if that could be used malicious ..

8. Wharmaster

Because they're MY computers, and I like to know what's going on when they are being used.
    Obviously, if my son is using ewido to circumvent my monitoring tools he is doing it for a reason. He's obviously using the computer for something he's not supposed to be, or why would he bother removing my security tools?
    As it is, he's lost computer priveliges entirely until this mess is sorted out.
    As head of household, and owner of these machines, I have a right to know what they are bing used for. As a father of a teen-age boy, I have a right to know what's going on in my house.
    ewido denies me that right.

9. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

sry to butt in, but ewido does not know if Ardamax is used for legitimate reasons. it simply recognizes it as a keylogger and therefore removes it. like infinity said, its what ewido is supposed to do.

10. Infinity

give your son his own userID, no Admin ID and a lot of your problems are solved.

install a program that forbids any installation of any program/driver/...
    then password protect that bitch :D (Processguard comes into mind atm) and your program will not get deleted ..

there are a lot of answers for this kind of issues...

11. Infinity

My friend's dad always goes realy mad and crazy if his son goes even near his computer .. but then again his son/my friend .. if he's around my computer..I'll go crazy too :D cause he's a sick human being lol ..

seriously, if I don't want anything to get installed on my computer, you could bet your ass off, there won't get anything installed (except for virii, trojans, and all that nasty stuff :))

Cause like you said, it's in your own house and afaik, you're always the boss in your own house :D

12. Wharmaster

Ah, so a solution might be to use a couple of tools to forbid ewido from being installed....I can live with that I guess :cautious:

13. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

I don't think you can install it in a limited user account, so you can just make your son's account a limited user account, and password protect your accout. Also, password protect the hidden windows "administrator account" since your son could access it if he booted into safe mode.

Just remove Ewido, and do what I said above, and everything will work out fine.

Another idea, you could encrypt your harddisk and then he would need a password to access ewido...

Alphalutra1

14. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

With respect to preventing unauthorized programs from running on these PC's, one other example of a program that accomplishes this is AntiExecutable from Faronics. I don't use it, but did try it out and it does seem solid.

Blue

15. Infinity

I heard some good stuff about it too .. albeit "AntiExecutable" being a limited PG-like program .. that's why I choose PG over AE.

best wishes,

16. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

For a casual user, it could arguably be preferred. The basic operation is establish the machine is in a known/clean state and install/reactivate with AE. On an install, all applications are recognized as valid and will launch as they should. A user will not be able to install/use an application unless AE is deactivated (which requires a user set password). On reactivation, the system is rescanned and the new programs are approved for use. No pop-ups/configuration/etc. Just use and go.

Downsides are if you do lot's of installs/switching of applications, usage can get cumbersome.

Blue

17. Infinity

:thumb: Thanx Blue

yes, this reminds me of something :D it's not that fun cause :

I just hate that! :D that's why I began using VmWare, that way I could test whatever I want without losing any protection (disabling features of my running application firewalls) on my main system/setup ..

18. steveke

steveke Registered Member

So now spray paint should be illegal?

That pretty much summarizes your position.

I say that the person who sprayed the paint on the camera is responsible-not the paint manufacturer.

You acknowledge that this software could be used for malicious puposes.

But because your son used it to thwart you-I, and every person who does not want a keylogger on my system, must be subject to having this keylogger placed on our system and be unable to detect it or remove it.

19. f3x

f3x Registered Member

Personnaly no mather who's computer it is,
    there should be something as a granted rigth of privacy.

You can't keylog what your son is doing / saying to their friend etc...
    This would be the same as listenign to the telephone because you pay for it.

As a matter of fact as long as your son have a physical acess to the computer, he can get rid of many of the thing you put against him. And i'd definitively encourage him of doing so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.