Ewido - backweb - need ignore list

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by ChrisP, Nov 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

We do watch all threads and posts ;)

regards,

pau

2. Bdiamond

Bdiamond Registered Member

Are you seeing alerts from Ewido? I have been running F-Secure Internet Security 2005 under WinXP/SP2 along with PG 3.05 for almost a month with no alerts or alarms of any sort from Ewido 3.0. This includes using Ewido as an "on demand" scanner as well as running the "guard" function. It, perhaps, does slow things down slightly but that may be due to the large number of programs which must run in order to support the program.

In any case, Ewido has never give any sort of alarm and there have been no problems running this configuration other than perhaps a decrease in speed.

Prior to the FIS Suite I have used the F-secure AV program for about two years and never saw any alarms from any of my security/ anti spyware programs regarding the back web component; however Ewido was not installed at the time.

3. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

@ChrisP:

Your mail with the backweb application arrived us on 12/01/2004 22:08:01... You started flaming about our support not sending you an answer on 12/03/2004 14:23... You call that "It has been a couple of days since I submitted the files Ewido is picking up - and no feedback."?

Ever thought of things like different time zones, working times etc.? Our support staff forwarded me your message as they were told to do so. Several minutes after I had your mail in my inbox I read your message here on wilders and sorry... Why should we remove detections because a single user almost extorts us to do so?

You're currently the only one having a problem with the detection of backweb which is btw. not a "perfectly legitimate application" as you call it. For example it's being installed without user notification. It sends unspecified data over the internet without asking the user. It can be used to deliver news, updates or even ads, which also slows down your internet connection. It can be a huge resource hog and cause instability.

That is everything which it potentially can be, however as for example in the case of F-Secure it is also be used by legitimate applications.

My personal opinion on F-Secure and backweb:
    It's simply F-Secures fault to use a third party application to deliver their updates. Don't they have enough good programmers to write their own updater? I consider it very daringly and even dangerously to use third party programs in a security application. How do they want to guarantee that it only does what it is supposed to do?

And btw. you started this thread with the title "Ewido - backweb - need ignore list"... I told you we are working on it and now you are complaining and flaming because we didn't remove the detection for you... Do you really believe that we can implement such a feature in just a few hours? I seriously hope not...

4. dog

dog Guest

Not that it will matter to anyone ... IMHO, I think Ewido is an outstanding product ... I've never had an issue with F/P's at all ... it's developing and improving all the time. Good work Fish25! There are many of us that appreciate the service your company provides. ;) Please take Chris' comments with a grain of salt, & consider the source :mad: ... We all know the quality of Ewido. ;)

5. nameless

nameless Registered Member

Whether or not you've had FPs is a matter of chance, and how much software you have installed (and archived). I've had quite a few FPs with Ewido, because I have a lot of software. If I only had Calculator, Notepad, and Firefox installed, it would be a different story.

I have to agree that they seem to be striving to improve the product. And while some things about Ewido continue to drive me insane, I've never complained about their support responsiveness, which is the best I've seen among any AT vendors, by far.

6. BrainWarp

BrainWarp Registered Member

Thankyou fish--i could not have said it better.

7. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Firstly, F-secure itself seems to be a third party application. Only the Orion scanner is their own product and even Libra is only a modified F-Prot.

Secondly, is Backweb used in F-secure only because,

From the BackWeb developer: Compaq, HP, McAfee, F-Secure, Western Digital, Logitech, Kodak and IBM are some of BackWeb´s customers....

Have we to avoid all these products mentioned above too?

Btw, does the new F-secure flag Backweb, when there is Lavasoft's Ad-Aware linked together to their program as their spyware protection?

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2004
  8. BrainWarp

BrainWarp Registered Member

I have to laugh my ass off at people that seem to defend backweb here.Anyone's computer that i work on i warn them what backweb could be used for.

Firefighter--maybe the companies you listed here just don't care about backweb possibly collecting info on there customers.Maybe backweb shares the info with them for profit?It seems to boil down to money.

I do believe that f-secure more expensive virus program does not use backweb?

9. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

You know, instead of laughing at each other - or getting all flamed out with either each other or the program-maker (or both) - we really should just be using this thread to educate ourselves and other on what's been brought up.

Things pro and con have been presented about BackWeb - fair enough. Now that everyone has information with which to form an intelligent opinion in regards to our own computers' usage of something containing BackWeb , we should simply respect their decision, whatever that may be and just lose all the snide remarks, the superiority complexes and the venom. (It's all useless and counter-productive).

If you can't trust your A/V maker (in this case, F-Prot), who exactly can you trust? Right off the top of my head, I'd have to assume that the F-Prot people are quite sure that their particular utilization of BackWeb is quite innocuous - they wouldn't be allowing it to be used if they didn't. They're not stupid - they've probably dealt with this issue before.

AFAIC, I like the fact that EWIDO points out that the BW client gets used (this is why we use A/T programs, correct?) - but it's quite obvious that EWIDO's handling of it needs work - and that it's going to get resolved. In the meantime, it seems to me that people who don't wish to have the F-Prot issue simply stop the EWIDO Guard from running and just use the program as a back-up, on-demand scanner until it gets fixed.

Gotta get ready for work - see you all later. Pete

10. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

Fish. Ewido CLEARLY state on their website that the product is copatible with F-Secure. I purchased it to run with my F-Secure Antivirus 5.43 on the understanding it would work as described. It does not work as described therefore I have every rite to be unhappy.

You took my cash on the understanding your product would work in a specific way. Your description was misleading, it does not work as you say. GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK OR MAKE IT WORK AS YOU SAID IT WOULD WHEN YOU TOOK MY CASH.
    Its quite simple. CASH BACK TO ME OR FIX EWIDO

11. Jeccu

Jeccu Registered Member

There is a strong possibility that this BackWeb issue only relates to FSAV 5.x because I have FSAV 2004 and Ewido and they play just fine together. The BackWeb component in FSAV 2004 is different than the one in FSAV 5.x, which (5.41) I used to have before.

12. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

The issue is with F-Secure 5.XX. Fish, where is my money? Not a single communication from Ewido so far. My new registered version fo TDS is running just fine!

13. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

This board isn't the place to ask for a refund. Please communicate about this with the vendor by email.

regards.

paul

14. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

First of all, even though I'm reading and posting here on wilders, this board is NOT the ewido support board! You can't expect a speedy reply here and should not post support requests here anyway. They need to be directly addressed to us in order to be processed within an appropriate time.

ChrisP... You started complaining about our bad support and allegedly bad product even before you had a reply here (either a positive or negative one) and you didn't even consider it necessary to send a mail directly to our support. How can you guarantee that we read your posting at all?

The only mail you sent to us was the backweb.exe file, nothing more, no request, nothing. What reply do you expect to this mail? We are currently discussing the issue here and unfortunately nowhere else.

Generally... You were posting something here about a refund request and expect an answer only 4 hours later. We have a different time zone here in Germany and it has been sunday 3 o' clock in the morning here. Apart from the time and day I have a lot more to do than to simply go through every board I know pressing the refresh button every 5 minutes just to answer people like you who are unable to fill out a simple support form.

Ok... Finally back on-topic... We will remove the detection of backweb with the next update until the ignore list is ready and implemented.

15. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

fish25 - Actually, I'd be interested in knowing what the result was of your examination of the BackWeb component that was sent to you.

Is the B/W component in the latest version of F-Prot different than the one in FSAV 2004, as Jeccu says?

Is it possible that there is actually a problem there? Perhaps even one that the vendor themselves are un-aware of?

I don't use F-Prot myself - does anyone know if they have a support-board? Might be a good thing to ask about. Pete

16. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

Fish, you saw my post here and did not address the issue. I emailed Ewido and you still - DAYS later have not replied. Thank you for removing backweb from next update. I think Ewido is a good detector of trojans - just try being more responsive - rather than slagging off other vendors apps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.