Ewido and VNC - Please....

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by mhallerman, Feb 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mhallerman

mhallerman Registered Member

I know this has been talked about and that it is said in the next version there will be the facility to tell ewido to not bother about vnc, but it is a showstopping problem for me.

When the pc reboots, ewido comes up asking about winvnc and you can choose to clean or ignore. Fine.

But if you are not at that pc and are trying to vnc in, you can connect remotely with the vncviewer, but cant get to the desktop or get any ui screen remotely because it seems ewido is holding up the process of winvnc 'working' until the user local to the pc takes some action (clean or none)...

This would seem to be a showstopper, in that if you remotely reboot a pc with active ewido guard protection, you cant get back into it remotely until you locally tell ewido what to do with winvnc after it comes back up.

Any ideas Ewido? Great product, but its tough to wait for some fix for this while it renders remote access useless...

Thanks,
    Mark.

2. mhallerman

Anyone from Ewido reading this? Would appreciate reply

Also sent tech support email but no response...

==================================

I know this has been talked about and that it is said in the next version there will be the facility to tell ewido to not bother about vnc, but it is a showstopping problem for me.

When the pc reboots, ewido comes up asking about winvnc and you can choose to clean or ignore. Fine.

But if you are not at that pc and are trying to vnc in, you can connect remotely with the vncviewer, but cant get to the desktop or get any ui screen remotely because it seems ewido is holding up the process of winvnc 'working' until the user local to the pc takes some action (clean or none)...

This would seem to be a showstopper, in that if you remotely reboot a pc with active ewido guard protection, you cant get back into it remotely until you locally tell ewido what to do with winvnc after it comes back up.

Any ideas Ewido? Great product, but its tough to wait for some fix for this while it renders remote access useless...

Thanks,
    Mark.

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Just thinking out loud :shifty:

If ewido could assist....would they not have to institute a selection that deals with allowing VNC when a user reboots ?

If that is true....could not a user disable the ewido services on those occasions when they know they are going to remotely connect ?

4. mhallerman

What if the pc reboots for some reason other than a planned/initialted one? Then you can't get in because the Ewido Guard is blocking vnc.

It's a terrible lack of a feature to not allow exceptions.

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Then there's that :eek:

Yep....there are exceptins to everything and I'm sure if the ewido guys agree they will institute that feature.

6. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

It is just a FP, that have to get out of their sigs.
    But for some reasons, this can't be done.

This is only causing problems, and prevent future buyers from purshasing.

7. mhallerman

Hey there Tuatara,

I don't think it's a false positive as the entry classifies it correctly as "not-a-virus" -

Ewido is correctly reporting on a piece of software which "could" pose a risk if it was not intentionally installed - the problem is that they dont give a simple mechanism to tell Guard to ignore it always.

Quite easy to do in any software - I'm just shocked they don't have it yet and that the feature escaped any beta testing. Pretty inexcusable in my opinion.

Mark.

8. tuatara

Not a FP ? This is a very funny remark,

i can think about at least 50 Windows built in commands etc.
    that can be potentional dangerous.

And i can see no difference at all, with a tool like Windows remote console etc.

Why not detect all those as NOT-A-VIRUS.

If it is NOT-A-VIRUS then why detect it?
    It only give trouble as you can see ..

9. mhallerman

Irregardless of how many vulnerabilities Windows may or may not have, it's not a false positive - the argument that it is somehow relating to other windows vulnerabilaties is ridiculous.

As to why detect it? Because some users could potentially have it on their system and not realize it. Pretty simple.

10. tuatara

Please explain me what the difference is with Windows Remote Console
    why this isn't detected as not-a-virus

The problem with this message is, that customers will see it as malware
    although this was installed for a reason.(they don't read the label,
    if it is found it is malware)

It is a anti malware solution isn't it.

Near my opinion it is a False Positive, but i can live with the fact that others prefer to call it: a "not-malware" detection

But please tell that to the system administrators that have to reinstall VNC
    again and again. untill they remove Ewido ..

11. mhallerman

Re the below - I'm one of them! So I think in the end we are on the same page....

But please tell that to the system administrators that have to reinstall VNC
    again and again. untill they remove Ewido ..

12. tuatara

Sorry i did not know that, i apologize for that!

Then it has little use discussing it with you, i wish you good luck
    and i hope things will get better for you ... us :D

13. mhallerman

no problem at all...

14. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

As an interim solution, we updated the settings and the engine with the last update. You can now choose to ignore all files that are detected as "Not-A-Virus" during a scan. Unfortunately, the guard can still not exclude these detections. Nevertheless we hope this helps a bit, sorry for any inconvenience!

[​IMG]

15. mhallerman

Thanks Peter - not to sound like a wiseguy, but it is a step in the right direction though of course not the full solution as one would want to scan for potentialy dangerous apps -

but again, I appreciate the feedback and the added option - thank you sincerely...

Regards,
    Mark.

16. tuatara

Peter.Ewido wrote:

Thank you very much, i think it is very positive that you take this serious,
    and take the time to find a workaround and answer here!

Peter.Ewido, you have earned 8 extra points for support

:thumb:

17. mhallerman

Peter,

I unchecked the option in your attached image, and the Guard has deleted both the main vnc exe and dll files.

I had to restore from quarantine - I'm afraid the feature you mentioned does not work.

Is there some other build I can get where this works?

Thanks,
    Mark.

18. mhallerman

Help -> Ewido and VNC - Please....

Peter,

I still have the issue where ewido on startup blocks winvnc.exe from running till I am at the machine and take action.

You had posted a fix, but this does not work - can you tell me what to do to get it to work or if there is a slipstreamed build?

Thanks.

Regards,
    Mark.

19. mhallerman

Is anyone from the company reading these? Is the product support valid?

This is a major problem which for me renders the product unusable. If I knew beforehand that the product did not have this functionality I would not have purchased it and would have waited for the next release. Every time I reboot I need to go to the machine and set the Guard's prompt to "None".

Almost every similar product has some type of exclusion feature the user can use to ignore certain apps or classes of apps.

Again, if anyone from Ewido is reading this, what can be done BEFORE you release the next rev, besides not using the product one paid for?

If I seem miffed, it's because the one thing presented as a fix by Peter on 3/10 does not work and I responded as such 1 day later, and now I can't seem to get any additional support on the product.

Regards,
    Mark.

20. ThreeofClubs

ThreeofClubs Registered Member

mhallerman, I'm glad that you posted about this. I actually found this forum searching for a solution to the Ewido/VNC problem. My less-technical family and friends rely on me to take care of their PCs remotely, and my solution has been VNC. Since they were having problems with spyware I had them purchase the Security Suite and have regretted it ever since for exactly the reasons you described. I have found no workarounds, so have uninstalled the Ewido software and gone back to their competition.

I find the lack of response... disturbing.

21. mhallerman

3ofClubs,

Yes, it's really a big problem for people who use VNC and Ewido, which I have to think is more than a handfull...

I really hope they start to take it seriously, and in general, provide some support - it's really atrocious to not get a response from them for days now...

I doubt I will renew when the time comes given their apparent lack of regard for their customers.

M.

22. peter.ewido

The next version will definitely feature an ignore list. Unfortunately, due to the design of the guard in version 3.5, it is currently not possible to add an ignore list, I'm very sorry for the inconvenience :(

23. mhallerman

Thank you.

Also, you had detailed a workaround a few weeks ago that doesn't seem to work - is that still valid or was it mentioned by mistake - I couldn't get it to work as described Peter...

Mark.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  24. mhallerman

If anyone from Ewido is reading these, is there a viable workaround for the vnc problem (saved "not-a-virus" exclusions) until V4?

Anyone?

Does ewido provide support with ones purchase? Or do we need to pay extra for that?

- Very dissatisfied Ewido customer.

25. peter.ewido

Unfortunately, there is no workaround for this. The scan settings only apply for the scanner, not for the guard. The product in its current form has no ignore list and was never advertised as having one. However, I can tell you that version 4.0 (which will definitely have an ignore list) is "just around the corner"...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.