Ewido and Superantispyware

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Bongo-Bob, Sep 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bongo-Bob

Bongo-Bob Registered Member

Hello,

I downloaded a trial version of Ewido last week and so i am pretty happy with it.

It seems that it overlaps just enough with NOD 32, so my anti malware software perfectly complements my anti virus software.

I am looking for a anti spyware package that will complement Ewido. I don't mind that they overlap each other a little bit in functionality, as long as they don't get in each others way. I say that, because i want have them both being resident in the memory on the watch agains nasty stuff.

I'm thinking about Superantispyware, since it is getting a lot of praise and isn't too expensive.

What is the worst that could happen if i run both programs at the same time?

Any other good candidates, for the job as Ewido's little superduper helper?

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hello Bongo-Bob,

Considering the nature of your inquiry....I have moved this thread to a more appropriate forum instead of the ewido support forum.

Bubba

3. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I have run and still do from time to time ewido and SUPERAntiSpyware together. So far never had issues running them both in realtime.

Gerard

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I am running both on two computers without any problems. I also must say that Nick, SAS, is superb at assisting with any problems.
    http://forums.superantispyware.com/index.php

I think you will like the combination.

Best,
    Jerry

5. Lucy85

Lucy85 Registered Member

Just want to say something about SUPERantispyware. It crashed 3 times out of 7 full system scan i did on my laptop and desktop, uninstalled it after that. I don't mind longer scanning time since it's quite detail but stability is another issue.

I would think twice before purchasing it. Installed Spyware Terminator which has real time protection and yet is totally free, extremely satisfied with it.

6. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

SUPERAntispyware may be your ticket.
    It's new,but the developer's support makes it worthy of consideration.

CounterSpy 2.0 will be excellent when it comes out of beta.

The worst that could happen running two residents at the same time?
    I don't know for sure.Maybe the BSOD?
    I suppose it depends a lot on what areas those two residents are monitoring.
    I remember trialing an a/v program that ended up having a firewall included.That would have been alright if I knew that before install seeing as how I had a firewall already installed.It wasn't pretty.:(

7. Seishin

Seishin Registered Member

Please don't recommend this ex-rogue program to people (http://spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm). Just let potential users know about the contents of the EULA so they can think about it before installing it.

I know heaps of people praise this program but I bet just a few have read its EULA carefully.

Check out this recent thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=145831

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i wouldnt reccemend it. i only reccoemend programs that i would use and trust.

thats the lodore promise:)

9. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Did you report/ask for support regarding the crash issue at the SAS Forum?
    Is there any relation with ewido?
    Do you have any details about the crashing?
    I won't ask about ST because that would be, like your statement, off topic!

Gerard

10. BuckSnort_

BuckSnort_ Registered Member

I've run ewido and superantispyware together even when the former was in beta. The combo works well for me.

11. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

I use SAS on demand but wanted to say that a lot of people may be a little too quick to praise it so much - it's very very good but definetly not at the top. But it's great on demand. I probably wouldn't bother buying it, Spyware Terminator should be enough, mostly because even if spyware slips through you have time to get rid of it anyway (it's not like spyware destroys your machine like a virus; it just annoys you or steals data).

12. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I have used the Ewido online scanner along with SAS and found no problems using both. As with any set of programs, compatibility can vary on any PC. Some may never have a problem and some may keep getting BSOD. Most of the surveys and test reports usually put Spy Sweeper, Spyware Doctor, and Counter Spy at the top the list when compared with other programs. The landscape of antispyware keeps changing so detection rates and protection abilities can vary over time.

What is the worse that can happen? BSOD, reboots, freezes which will require removal of one program (but there are many help forums and utilities to assist should that occur).

13. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

ccsito brings up an interesting point:
    I have noticed this too.
    Though SpySweeper and CounterSpy in particular were known to run "heavy" on some systems.This can also change over time,like with CS 2.0 beta showing improvement in resource usage.

Why not trial some of those programs listed by ccsito?

14. Lucy85

Lucy85 Registered Member

No, i didn't report the crash. Reinstalled SAS again and i found that CPU usage was full (100%) for few seconds and then it crashed. I have NOD32 on my machines and it was running AMON (File System Monitor), so NOD32 was scanning what SAS's scanning at the moment. Disabling AMON reduces CPU usage to around 85% and i was able to finish the scan.

In conclusion, this seems to be a compatibiliy issue with NOD32. Still, i enjoy Spyware Terminator despite it USED to be on rogue list. I don't believe "once a thief, always a thief" so i trust ST even though the EULA confusion.

15. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

Hello Lucy85

It sounds as though something is definately going wrong there on your computer, however I don't think there is a 'general' compatibilty issue with nod32 and SAS, I have used them both together on both an old windows 98 and a new windows XP machine, and have never had any problems. I have a coleague who uses nod32 and SAS without problems on a Windows XP too.

The SAS tech support (as mentioned above) is very good so I would give them a try if you are still having this issue and they should help you find the cause and solve it.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.