Ewido 4.0 beta bug

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware beta forum' started by Chubb, Apr 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pwillener

pwillener Registered Member

Regarding the display bugs reported earlier in this topic - I don't see them... (Windows XP SP2)

ewido4a7nw.gif

I see the number correctly displayed, both before and after entering the license code.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2006
  2. pwillener

But I have an issue with the progress bar during the fast system scan. It progresses slowly to the right while scanning, then reaching the right end, but it is far from finished scanning. It just seems to go through once, without any relation to the remaining scan time.

In fact, I just did a test
    • Scan start: 14:30:05
    • Progress bar completed: 14:32:40 (2 min 35 sec)
    • Scan ended: 14:48:05 (18 min 0 sec)
    This is so way off that I can imagine it will upset users that do a manual scan. There should be a way to estimate, e.g. the number of files to be scanned, and move the progress bar accordingly.

P.S. I don't know if Ewido 3.5 had a similar problem, as I never ran manual scans (but scheduled nightly scans).

3. LM1

LM1 Registered Member

When I try to generate PDF files by printing web pages using Edocprinterpro (a PDF application) from Firefox, Firefox closes and actually crashes.

This never happened before I installed Ewido 4.0 beta, so I assume that there is some conflict between these applications. (Other security software I have installed, if it makes a difference - Process Guard, full version; Netveda firewall; KAV 2006, with proactive defense enabled).

4. scoopnoggin

scoopnoggin Registered Member

I am unable to receive signature updates. Is the server down?

Without the updates, ewido.exe uses 4 megs of ram and the guard uses 2 megs. Very nice.

Edit: Ooooo right now its using 3.7 megs. Well hey can't beat that! who needs sigs anyway? :)

Edit again: server up, update complete, houston we have liftoff

5. CDomaille

CDomaille Registered Member

Mine is OK, had an update this morning and it shows 314,075. maybe you need to run the update.

6. Qark

Qark Registered Member

I have founded bug, when I use "Fast system scan"-mode, process bar shows that scan is over. But scan continue normal way. Here screenshots:

p734933-combined.jpg

7. chaos

chaos Registered Member

Ewido is reporting at the front page...
    -->Detected malware so far 4.
    But I didn't receive any message to choose the required action when this malware was found.Additionally nothing can be found in the quarantine.
    Also I did a fast system scan and nothing was found.Note that this system scan was before any malware was reported as found.
    Is it possible that it is just tracking cookies automatically removed?

I can confirm also the progress bar bug.

I would like to congratulate the ewido team for releasing ewido antimalware 4 beta and to note that some people shouldnt be so suspicious just because other untrustworthy companies in the past have betrayed them and they havent kept their promises.
    How long do you believe that it will take you to finalize the product?

A typing mistake is the following.
    When you press the orange highlighted text (see the screen capture below)a menu appears.The last choice says "recommend actions" instead of "recommended actions".

Attached Files:

8. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

Update on my problem earlier in the thread; my updating issue was due to problems with my VM and not ewido. VM is fixed and ewido is working as it should.

9. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Cofirmed the progress bar issue.

I did a scan of my partition with all the programs installed. It has around 61,000 files. During the scan, when it has scanned for only about 500 files, the progress bar showed a completion of about 25%, which should not be the case. 500 files was only about 0.8% of a total of 61,000 files, as opposed to the 25% competion shown.

Moreover, the scan engine stuck at the *.chm files in the Microsoft Office folder. I am using Office XP and my machine hanged severly when the scan window showed that Ewido was scanning the chm files in E:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\1028. The hang was so severe that I was unable to capture a screenshot to show the progress bar bug. It took me almost more than 5 minutes before I can bring up the Task Manager to kill the Ewido process.

10. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

After running an update of the signature, the signatures in database still showed "314," instead of "314,XXX". The XXX is still missing. o_O o_O

Attached Files:

11. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Yes, you are right

Attached Files:

12. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

The progress Bar bug should be fixed soon. (Should be in 4.0.0.149)

@Chubb,

I'm wondering what Locale are you currently using? This is really strange. Can tell me? I have no idea why it is like that on your machine.

@ chaos

Yes the guard has deleted tracking cookies automatically if the option is enabeld ( check your shield settings if this option is enabled ;) (He won't tell you if he does it since this can be very annoying :p )

I can't tell you when it will be finished. I really don't know :(

<old>
    The mistake is imho no mistake, this can be both "recommend actions" and "recommended action"

use the "recommended actions"
    vs
    "recommend actions" to me

Since it configures ewido anti-malware I personally would prefer the former.
    </old>

Edit: OOooops misunderstanding. Will be fixed in 4.0.0.149 Sorry

BR

13. vinzenz.ewido

Ok thats good for us *fg*

14. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Hi vinzenz

The screenshot of settings for Regional Options is attached. See if you can reproduce the same.

Thanks

Attached Files:

15. vinzenz.ewido

This is really strange. Which version of Edocprinterpro and which version of Firefox are you using?
    I can't reproduce it. :(

BR

16. vinzenz.ewido

No I'm sorry after installing the needed things and a reboot I've tested it. I can't reproduce it sorry :(

You're using an english version of Windows XP, aren't you? Home or Prof.? Do you have installed SPs installed? If so which one?

BR

17. vinzenz.ewido

You seem to be the master in bug detection :ninja:
    I'm a bit disapointed that I'm not abled to reproduce your bugs, in this case I don't have Office XP :p But we'll have a look if we can check this. Maybe can you provide us the exactly version of your Office XP and probably what you have installed ( everything? )

BR

18. vinzenz.ewido

That's not a bug, that is just that users aren't confused why it comes back again and again :p
    You can disable autostart in the tray menu, then the entry will be removed.
    ;)

19. vinzenz.ewido

Once again related to the regions stuff. I have a float numbers not integers (don't worry about the german text :p)

So are you sure that you don't have modified anything on your system?

Attached Files:

20. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Yes, I am using the English version of Windows XP updated to SP2 and the most recent hotfixes and security fixes and I have not installed any MUI pack of other languages. However, in addition to having the Chinese (HKSAR) locale as shown in the screenshots, I have also installed the HKSCS character set found in http://www.microsoft.com/hk/hkscs/default.aspx

The link to the file is http://202.181.238.4:5588/hkscs/hkscs2001.zip

HKSCS stands for HK Special Characters Set and is used for typing some special Chinese slang characters that cannot be shown correctly by standard Chinese character sets. I am not sure if this cause the problem, but I am not aware of similar problems in other English software installed on my Windows XP.

21. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Hm...so you do mean that the empty entry in the Autostart tab is the Ewido.exe entry that was intentionally omitted to avoid the confusion of coming back and again?

22. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

I am using English Office XP, installed everything using customized install, updated to SP3 and all available fixes. I don't have Office 2003 and I am not sure if Ewido will also get freezes when scanning the chm files of Office 2003. The chm files ranges from 10K to 3M the largest, but I remember that when I do a full scan with KAV 5.X and the new 6.0.0.299, KAV also used quite a long time while scanning at the chm files, but it never get hung.

Hm...I am not the master in bug detection, just a computer enthusiast :p Just to share issues and comments.

23. scoopnoggin

scoopnoggin Registered Member

This may not be of interest.... Cyberhawk of Novatix which is also still in beta appears to conflict 4.0. I don't believe it it has any issues with version 3.5. If both programs run together at start-up the GUI for Cyberhawk will not load. If ewido is disabled at start up and executed manually the tray icon doesn't appear, but otherwise seems to work fine.

24. LM1

LM1 Registered Member

I'm using Edocprinter 6.18, build 4060, and FF 1.5.0.2, under Win XP Pro.

25. pwillener

I have ewido 4 beta scheduled to run a nightly scan at 05:00.

When I open ewido, the Status page shows "Last scan at 2006/04/25". What does it mean:
    • the scheduled scan did not run last night?
    • only manual scans are show here?
    Here is my Scheduler window

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/2614/ewidosch8qf.gif

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.