Evidence Washer and System Cleaner?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Straight Shooter, Dec 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. :p

After using Windows Washer for over 4 months, I wanted to find something that cleans even deeper, and also cleans the computer from back up or system files I tried using Windows Washer in conjunction with jv16 power tools, but jv would not clean up the "bak" files, on demand, so I gave up on that. I have been using "System Cleaner" (www.allerasoft.com ) and Evidence Washer (www.evidence-washer.com ) which I think is working very well, actually. I am also using Registry First Aid. Evidence Washer seems to REALLY clean up WIndows down to everything. Here is a screenshot;

Has anyone else used these? Is there anything better?

Attached Files:

• ev1.jpg
      ev1.jpg
      File size:
      30.1 KB
      Views:
  2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Straight Shooter.I haven't used that program.If you want a program to compare System Cleaner and Evidence Washer with,try Supercleaner.I have been using it since this Summer and it finds bak files in the "unneeded files" scan under "garbage finder".It does the index.dat cleanup at startup.It's$ 29.99 lifetime and has a trial available.I got it from http://www.SouthBayPC.com

Adapted URL tags

3. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

FYI: This a rather long look at Windows Internet Erasers/Wipers/Track Cleaners, whatever you choose to call them. There are some things with these programs that are crucial to their effectiveness and I look at that and a few other things that hopefully will be helpful. Then, by all means - join in the discussion and add your thoughts and experiences. This actually is a response to Straight Shooter's post.

[hr]

Hello Straight Shooter!

I will tell you my personal choice in a minute, but first I think there are some things concerning these products that are very important to think about.

In the beginning (since Windows 95) there was Window Washer, IEClean and one or two others as comprehensive Windows cleanup tools. Today, there are literally hundreds of "Mom and Pop" utilities doing the same. Actually, I should say trying to do the same. Many appear, on their face, to do what they claim to be doing. Unfortunately, the vast majority do not.

I work with a group within the University of California system, the Privacy Protection Research Project. As part of this, we test and test and test. I get so caught up in it that my wife and I test and test at home for items that are waiting to be tested at the University. Because of this, I am very familiar with the various products available to clean/wipe your Internet tracks.

I think it's important to remember that you don't have to choose just one Always have a "main" comprehensive program though and the second for insurance. For example, I use my "main" cleaner and then run Window Washer, in the Window Washer clean I run, I include the log file generated by my main program. A good freeware program could be used as this second-line of protection.

But your choice of primary cleaner is crucial to maintain privacy. Some do 75% of what they should - not good enough. Some do only 25% of what they should - obviously not good enough. Some do 95% of what they should - for me, even that is not good enough. There are so many of these tools that there are only a select few that do what they are intended to do - and do it right. Most leave something out because the developer does not have the skills to pull it off, ignorance of the various operating systems, etc. Windows XP poses a particular challenge and should not be left to just any Tom, Dick or Sherry to give you security. I normally do not think it proper to openly bash a piece of software, but since we are discussing this topic, I cannot go without suggesting strongly that you stay away from the much-talked-about "Evidence Eliminator"...and it's just not for their sleezy marketing. The program (which is very expensive) is JUNK. Check Radsoft's Triple E (EEE - Evidence Elimiator Eliminator) if you want a program like EE that will actually DO what EE claims to do. Okay, with that said.......

The program that Straight Shooter has been using, "Evidence-Washer" appears to do a lot of things right. I plan to download it and run some tests here at home on Win98SE and Windows XP. But, appearing to, and actually doing it are two different things. FYI, after using these tools, I have copies of high quality file recovery programs that I use to check the quality of the cleaner tested. One thing I will tell you right away is how happy I was to see Evidence-Washer cleaning registry entries. That's a big plus right there as probably 90% do not. In fact, a major weakness of Window Washer (an otherwise good program) is its lack of this capability. It will be interesting to see how "Evidence-Washer" does.

What I hate to see is so many of these products all claiming to do what others can't - "product comparisons", etc. It always seems that what one can do and the other cannot can be turned around on another feature - so I pay little attention to these kinds of charts.

The program I use.........First, let me say that we have not tested this product as of yet at the university (it's on the list and there's a method to the madness), but I have tested it thoroughly personally and have found it to be comprehensive and lacking nothing of importance. As I said earlier, I use this program and then Window Washer which cleans up the log file for the first program and just to make another pass over things - insurance I suppose.

The program I urge everyone to download and try, is "Tracks Eraser Pro".... There is also a standard version - forget it. Tracks Eraser Pro is a program that I can recommend 100%. I can assure you I have no financial interest in this product. (It's only $29.95 - and that is inexpensive protection for what you get!) It is a product of Acesoft out of Grove City, Ohio. They have also licensed the product to others, so you may see the same interface in other products using different names - but not all with the same features. HistoryKill for example is licensed to use the code, but I wouldn't touch it because of their unseemly marketiing, plus it lacks the "Plug-In Maker" which makes Tracks Eraser Pro a unique program. (Along with the fact that it wipes registry entries, supports Mozilla and Opera along with NS and IE...on and on)
    The url is www.acesoft.net and remember to go to Tracks Eraser PRO - not the basic Tracks Eraser. When there are such good programs available I wonder why we try to reinvent the wheel. I see so much garbage at the office - I mean garbage. But this "Evidence Washer" looks intriguing and I will certainly take it around the block and kick the tires. But also, if you're looking around for a good, comprehensive cleaner, give Tracks Eraser Pro a try, the free download period is 15-days. Use the Plug-In Maker to "browse" to the custom folder or file and see how it is SO easy to clean up after any application that might leave tracks. Which reminds me, I have found that if you write developers and ask them where they put their .dat files, registry entries, or whatever they use - most are more than willing to give you that information for cleanup purposes. Once you have that, the "Plug-In Maker" makes it a breeze.

Sorry for the length, but I thought it was time for a good discussion on this topic. Unfortunately, there is a lot of misinformation out there and frankly, too much junk.

Any thoughts?

Happy Holidays - All The Best,
    John
    Luv2BSecure

4. Thank you for a very detailed, and I think, long needed post-reply about how a lot of the products are just hogwash, and how some are very good!..

As far as I can see, Evidence Washer really does clean what it says it does.. I haven't tested it to see if it "wipes" out the data, but due to the performance and stability of this and System Cleaner, I would prefer to just get your opinion..

I guess I want the best. I don't think I would ever go with Evidence Eliminator.. I agree.. A long and detailed search for these types of utilities didn't look very promising.. I have to go to sleep now, but tommorow I will reply with another post as to what I think a good washer should have..

I spent over $90 on washer utilites programs that were, for the most part, garbage. Without meaning to openly bash myself, I will say I found "System Mechanic" pretty sad.. I may elaborate on that tommorow...

I may look over tracks eraser pro, while I'm at it..

Thanks

5. controler

controler Guest

Do you people think we should compile a easy way for people to
    clean their system without any other peograms?
    I am wondering if one of us want to write a BAT file to do most of it?
    True that won't clean the index.dat file.
    Most of us still do the start - find option and then type after setting windows to show all files, hidden or otherwise.
    The BAT file could be part of the autoexec.bat file which will run on boot. We can run the BAT file from a floppy if so desired.

*.LOG

*.BAK

*.DAT

*.TEMP

Does anyone else have files like this on their Windows XP system?

example:
    Located in the C:/documents and setting/administrator folder

ntuser.dat.log

C:/documents and settings/networkservice/

ntuser.dat.log

6. TAG97

TAG97 Registered Member

7. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Hello!

The correct link is: www.acesoft.net ;)

8. controler

controler Guest

tag97

I am using NOD's new beta and don't have that locked option.
    Then I have admin rights also. after all it is my computer :D

9. luv2bsecure

Thanks for the link correction, Smokey!!!

Sorry for the inconvenience. I have now corrected it in my original post.

Thanks again!

Happiest of Holidays,
    John
    Luv2BSecure

10. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

I just have to add in a note here: :D

MRU-Blaster (free) has a large database of registry-based "usage tracks" that it can scan for and clean (and also offers option for scheduling, silent cleans, etc.).

Also to note: it doesn't target internet cache/temp files or internet history files but it can clean some file-based usage tracks such as the Windows Recent folders.

Best regards,

-Javacool

P.S. Of course, being the developer of the program, it is understandable that I might be slightly biased, but I would hope you'd come to the conclusion that it is a worthwhile application. ;)

11. controler

controler Guest

JC

I love MRU-Blaster and need to mention you have done a very nice job with it and are always improving on it.

Thank You

12. luv2bsecure

JavaCool,

Thank you for adding that! We were discussing mostly comprehensive programs so MRU Blaster has not come up. But!! By all means people, if you are not using MRU blaster, download it and use it! Great, simple, superb.

John
    Luv2BSecure

13. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Hi John !
    Did you check the comparo at the Evidence Washer Website ??
    http://www.evidence-washer.com/compare/

Regards,
    bill ;)

14. luv2bsecure

Hello, Bill!!

It's been awhile - where 'ya been?

I DID see that as a matter of fact.

On one hand, I'm anxious to try it out, on the other my eyes are getting blurry looking at these same kinds of products. I think I found one that does it all, and if it doesn't - it allows you to make a plug-in to a file or to the registry and wipe it all out. So, I'm glad to see one that looks like it has done a lot right, but I doubt there could possibly be more there than what I am using.

BUT, this isn't about personal use, so, on that score I am excited to see if it lives up to its rather impressive billing.

I have heard that Symantec is getting ready to come out with the "Mother of Internet Cleaners"... that should be interesting. I know a lot of people here don't like Symantec, but I have always thought they do things (for the most part) very well. The way people complain about Symantec in many of the forums here is how I feel about Mcafee. Ohhh.... I can't even think about them without a few cells of blood boiling (just a few though). But, honestly, I'm looking forward to the Symantec product. As for that comparison chart on the EW site, there are a couple of programs on there that I wouldn't let them pay me to use. I wish they would have put some of the higher quality programs on the comparison chart (like Tracks Eraser Pro, EEE, and a couple of others) it would have been a tad more honest. But, hey.... they're not out to perform a public service - they're out to make some $$$$. That's why we're all here. We can help separate fact from fiction for people who visit here and haven't a clue between a delete and a wipe.

Hope 2003 brings you nothing but great things, Bill.
    Come around more often!

John
    Luv2BSecure

15. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

I've been lurking here and there !! :D
    And thanks for the Holiday wishes. I hope you and yours have a great Festive Season and a Happy and Fulfilling NewYear as well !

As for internet tracks erasers, I like Window Washer.
    I'm eager to run it again to see if it cleans up those .DBX files that Snowman is talking about in another string !!

Take care and all the best,
    bill ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.