Everyone's responsibility - Reporting spam via SpamCop (FREE)

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by MakoFusion, Sep 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MakoFusion

MakoFusion Registered Member

>>>Please post and sign if you use SpamCop to report spam>>>

Hello there,

Here is a link to something everyone on the net should use,
    http://www.spamcop.net/
    Signing up is free - then once you do it is easy to report spam.

One should disable HTML graphics in email messages from being downloaded. Check in your email options...

One must enable full headers before reporting spam or it means nothing...
    http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/19.html

Here is an example of a header...

===BEGIN HEADER===
    X-Apparently-To: myemailaddress@mydomain.com via 206.190.37.35; Wed, 30 Aug 2006 10:53:23 -0700
    X-YahooFilteredBulk: 196.207.195.94
    X-Originating-IP: [196.207.195.94]
    Return-Path: <vinnason24@yahoo.ca>
    Authentication-Results: mta323.mail.mud.yahoo.com from=yahoo.ca; domainkeys=neutral (no sig)
    Received: from 196.207.195.94 (HELO emztd2923.com) (196.207.195.94) by mta323.mail.mud.yahoo.com with SMTP; Wed, 30 Aug 2006 10:53:23 -0700
    From: Send an Instant Message "Miss Vinna Johnson" <vinnason24@yahoo.ca> Add to Address BookAdd to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
    Reply-to: vinnason24@yahoo.ca
    Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 17:53:10 +0000
    Subject: DEAR SIR I COME FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE. GOD BLESS
    X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2919.6900 DM
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
    Content-Length: 994
    ===END HEADER===

Reporting spam is as easy as 1 2 3

1. Foward the spam, full headers and body, to your Spamcop reporting address. (Upon registering you will recieve one.)
    OR
    Paste entire spam (headers, blank line, body) - or - single address (one line only): into the white box on the homepage and click "Process Spam" (as easy posting on these forums)
    P.S. If fowarding a report comes back something like...
    Parsing header:
    No source IP address found, cannot proceed.
    No tracking information found in header:
    and you know you have sent full headers try the second option. It has worked out better for me in the past.

2. Wait for SpamCop to email you back which gives you a link to login and view the analysis of the spam in question, along with the email addresses it wishes to send reports to.

3. Simply click to submit those reports and you're done.

<<<Please post and sign if you use SpamCop to report spam<<<

Last edited: Sep 11, 2006
  2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I just wish that SpamCop had a more convenient (ie quicker) way of reporting. With the amount of spam that I get, it takes quite a bit of time to report them all (more time than I have patience for). I've since joined Knujon and changed MailWasher to send to them instead, and am happier with it.

3. MakoFusion

MakoFusion Registered Member

I'll give Knujon a go as well. Can I use both at the same time for the same spam emails?

4. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

I do this automaticly everytime a Mail is clasified as Junk (by the way the word "spam' can't be used anymore for product etc.) I extract via RegEx the header, and filter them into a new parked message to SpamCop. Once a week they got send.

5. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

SpamCop don't accept spam more than 48 hours old and for blocklisting purposes apparently score higher spam that is 4 hours old or less. It is intended to be a fast-acting (and fast-forgiving, removing addresses 24 hours after the last spam sent) list so if you want your report to have any effect, it will need to be sent more often.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.