Every new day I fall in love with Ubuntu again

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by cet, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

My younger daughter had on ipod and she used to put music on the ipod using itunes.But I had installed Ubuntu (wiping windows)on her laptop and she did not know what to do.She was not using her ipod as she did before.A quick google search and I installed Banshee on her laptop and now she is enjoying her ipod again.Everything is easier to do on Linux and uses less system resources than windows.I wonder why people are still using windows :)

2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

Photoshop, games, Illustrator, multimedia audio and video production, more games. ;)
    there's just stuff that won't run on Linux, even when using WINE.

but i get what you're saying and i love some Linux distros.
    my primary OS is Mint XFCE.
    but i keep Windows around for some games, and some specialized apps, like above.

3. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

I wonder what incredible tests are basing that conclusion.

4. As usual with Linux, it depends on the configuration.

There's always been something of an inverse relationship between usability and efficiency. You can run a "desktop" with Openbox and Midnight Commander on some very slow computers, and it will feel snappier than KDE 4 or Windows 7 on much more recent hardware; but it takes a lot of time investment to use it effectively. Probably not worth the effort for most end users, IMO.

5. cet

cet Registered Member

My younger daughter does not know much about computers.I installed Xubuntu on her laptop and only showed her the basic things and she is using it with joy and efficiently.She is a university student.If only someone who knows Linux could help ppl only spending 1 hour of time I am sure many would use Linux without any problems.
    She has a windows7 laptop too but believe me she is only using it once a week to update. :)

6. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

As usual detractors aka Winbloze fanbois are at their very best again, keep it up guys............Linux truly needs the likes of you. :D

7. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

As usual you think of Linux as some intimate part of your body, soul and/or family.

Wake up, it's software and it needs as much scrutiny as possible.

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Easier to do is subjective, but less resource usage is generally true unless you're comparing something like GNOME 3 vs Windows XP.

The flexibility gives Linux an edge in those areas though (you can make it easier and lighter for you completely from scratch).

9. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

Linux indeed great but android with cheap tablets it what you need for every day basic

80-100$ can do every day basic stuff and most shocking part is i use my friends cheap tablet and play more games than my sony arc :D

and best part its cheap so you dont scar to load even malware on it or do R&D which you wont do on costly devices :p

and stability on jelly bean 4.1 + is awesome

i am not android fan but now i am liking it. Hope soon ubuntu/andoid dual boot tabs are on market with cheap price to do R&D :p

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  10. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

one of the main drawbacks of linux distros are lack of LTS distros. ubuntu 12.04 has LTS and support cycle of 5 years,compare this is M$ OS's they have support cycle of 5 years and extended support of another 5 years.

from what i have seen most of the people do not like to update their OS every 18 months or 2 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.