Every image is corrupt as soon as i create it.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by outsource, Jul 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outsource

outsource Registered Member

So far, I have created 5 images of a partition I am trying to backup to test the program. Every single image is corrupt. I first used the default compression and tried to restore the image to another slave drive. I got the error half way through that the image is corrupt. I then created another image and then tested the image. It was corrupt. I then tried using every other compression level to see if that was the problem. No dice. Every single image that is "successfully" created has been corrupt. Any inputo_O Thanks.

2. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

3. Rockin Rog

Rockin Rog Guest

I'm wondering if anyone is overclocking their computer and this could effect the process.

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello outsource,

No offence but a bit more info wouldn't go amiss!!

e.g.

System details
    Operating System
    TI version and build number
    Imaging from within Windows or from the boot rescue CD
    Imaging source
    Imaging destination

Provide the above info and more users will probably chip in.

Regards

5. SBL

SBL Registered Member

I'm having the same problem. I create an image successfully, then verify it immediately and it is corrupt. Yet, exploring the image, I can see the contents.

System: 3.2 ghz Pentium (the kind that is 64 bit-capable with 2MB cache, can't remember the number)

Windows XP Pro
    2x 1GB PC4200 FSB533 DDR2
    2x 200GB Seagate SATA drives

I'm trying to get the image from the first drive and save it on the second (otherwise empty) drive. Everything is brand new, given to me by my employer. I had no hand in building it, and I don't know much about hardware. I don't know how to do the memory tests mentioned here, nor does it seem to make sense with a brand new computer.

I've heard about problems with external drives, but come on- if I can't image from one internal drive to another (identical!) internal drive, when does this supposedly fantastic software actually work?

Any help would be appreciated.

6. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

I very much doubt that you have a problem with your hard drives and the most likely failure point is the memory in your PC It's just as likely that you have a bad stick of memory with a new computer as one that is older. It's easy to run a memory test if you just download one of the programs mentioned and follow the instructions. It's not a fault of TI that it happens to be memory intensive. In my opinion the amount of memory you have in your PC it should be ECC memory and then you wouldn't have this problem. Check your memory and let us know the result please.

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Download a copy of Memtest86+ v1.6 from the <official Memtest86+ Website>. Choose either the zipped pre-compiled bootable ISO for burning to CD or the pre-compiled floppy version. Although the test is easy to perform, the Web site also contains links to guidance on how to use Memtest, error codes and trouble shooting etc.

Suitable instructions for burning the ISO to CD are available as follows:

For Nero and Roxio software.

or

Here and here for various other CD burning packages.

Regards

8. gwilki

gwilki Registered Member

What SATA controller are you using? What motherboard? I could not image one Seagate SATA to another either, but the problem was not TI. It was a bad controller on an ASUS board. ASUS knows of the problem, but couldn't care less. You can test if you have the same problem by copying any large file from one of your drives to the other, then doing a checksum on the two copies. I would bet that they are not the same. There are many threads on this on this forum from a few months ago. Abit boards had the same problem, but Abit fixed it with a BIOS upgrade. The only solution for me was to install an IDE drive and image my SATA drives onto it. I got no corruption then.

I still cannot explore the images, though. I've been waiting for months now for a solution from Acronis, buy nothing. So, I'm back to Ghost and checking here from time to time to see if Acronis is fixing the problem with releases. Not yet. All I get from service is "work arounds" that cause more problems than they fix.

Grant

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello outsource,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please provide me with the more detailed information on the problem?

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step;

- Tell me where do you store your images;

- Let me know whether Acronis True Image 8.0 creates corrupt backups both from under Windows and when booted from Acronis True Image 8.0 Bootable Rescue CD;

- Verify your images by means of the Check Image tool both from under Windows and when booted from Bootable Rescue CD and let me know the results.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

10. drewbytes

drewbytes Registered Member

I have the same problem, every image I create is corrupt. I'm attempting to copy a partition on my HDD to another partition on the same drive. I've ran memcheck, no errors at all, yet I've tried about 15 times and never made 1 valid image.

It's very frustrating, buy a piece of software and it appears to be useless to me.

I have an HP Pavilion zd8000 laptop with Windows XP.

Edit: I can't successfully create an image either under DOS from the boot disk.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2005
  11. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

Does the image fail during creation or are you finding the image is corrupt when you try to restore? Which partition are you imaging?

12. drewbytes

It creates it, but when I verify it or try to restore it is corrupt. I have C,D,E partitions and have tried backing up all 3 partions to other partions on the drive with no success.

13. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

I presume you have the latest build ... if not then you should upgrade to the latest build and try it again.

Another thing you can try is to specify a 'fixed' image archiving split size for the image rather than letting TI calculate this automatically. Some PC's have problems coping with 'large' data files. Try 700Mb and see if that helps.

14. Acronis Support

Hello drewbytes,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

pjb024 is correct, the first thing you should do is to make sure that you use the latest build (903) of Acronis True Image 8.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

If the problem still persists after installing the update then please do the following:

- Create an image saving it to any of your partitions;

- Copy your image to any other partition;

- Download the hash calculator;

- Use the hash calculator to calculate the checksums of the both originally created and copied image archives;

- Compare these checksums. They should be identical.

If checksums are different then the problem is most likely caused by the faulty hardware (memory stick, hard drive controller, hard drive itself, hard drive cable, etc.). I recommend you to call your PC vendor in order to test the computer in the nearest service center in this case.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

15. drewbytes

Thanks Acronis Support, but still doesn't work.
    I am using build 903, I have tried breaking up backup into 700 mb files, and I created a backup to E, then copied it to drive D, run the hash calculator on both images and all checksums were exactly the same! Also memcheck returns no errors.

Any further ideas? If we can't get this to work can I get a refund?

16. Acronis Support

Hello drewbytes,

I advice you to try the following:

- Temporarily replace your RAM module(s) with another memory stick(s), create an image once more and verify it;

- Connect any other internal or external hard drive to your PC, create an image once more and verify it;

Please perform the verification process both from under Windows and when booted from Bootable Rescue CD;

Inform me about the results.

You can read about Acronis refund here.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

17. FrankTI

FrankTI Registered Member

I have the same problem creating archives on a network drive.

TI version 8, new download yesterday.
    Source system: SiS board with AMD processor at 1.5GHz, 512MB RAM,
    Windows 2kPro, SP2.
    Destination: File server based on VIA M6000 board with 512MB RAM,
    Windows 2kPro, SP4.
    No modifications or overclocking etc.

I have (several times) created image archives of four partitions from 1GB to 12GB.
    TI reports successful creation every time.
    Sometimes at first check, the image is shown as correct and can be explored. More usually, it fails the check right away.
    In all cases, when checked later, the archive is first reported as "corrupted" and subsequently is see the message "The selected file is not an Acronis True Image archive"

The user interface of TI is the best I've seen on a backup program, and I would really like it to be suitable, but creating corrupt archives is a waste of time. Please tell me I'm doing somethng wrong and the problem can be fixed.

Regards - Frank

18. Mdraft

Mdraft Registered Member

I have the same problem onto DVD with Sonic DLA, onto Network drive and even onto same partition C:.

But I tried changing compression from Normal to High and it worked once. I haven't tried to replicate yet.

Using laptop Compaq V2135

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.