Everbody is talking about Avira's detection, what about blocking and removing malware

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by CoolWebSearch, Mar 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

Hello.
    Everybody, right now, is talking about Avira's detection. That's all ok. But what about blocking viruses, spyware and rootkits from installation?

What about after Avira detects them, can it remove all of the viruses, spyware and rootkits?
    Have any tests been done?
    How good Avira scored compared to Avast, AVG and all other payware antiviruses?
    Does anyone have any knowledge of this, has anyone individually or any independent organization tested this?
    Thanks.

2. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

I'm not here for A vs. B. I just want to know if I install Avira on my computer, if it's accidentally infected before I put Avira and Avira detects malwares, will Avira fully remove them all, or nearly all, as well?
    As far as I know this is suppose to be major difference between better paid and freeware antiviruses (compare Kaspersky and Avast for example)?
    Or am I wrong.
    Maybe I should simply buy Avira Premium Security Suite just for extra safety?

3. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Since you're not allowed to get answers to that question here, check out tests at av-comparatives.org, specifically the dynamic and removal tests, to answer your question.

4. denniz

denniz Registered Member

;) this is considered A vs B

Although I can't remember where I read it (so I can't link any evidence), but a test some time ago came to the conclusion that Avira was good at detecting malware, but not so good in removing malware. And by not so good I mean that it wasn't extremely bad, but there were other suites that did better at actually removing malware. The funny thing is that those other suites didn't have the uber high detection rates as Avira. :)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  5. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Avira is really good at detecting malware. My experience though says that has not that good removal capabilities and does not guarantee removal. In general if you want to buy an AV, you have to do a research and see what fits you best. But it will be a mistake to exclude Avira, believe me.

Removal for many is important. For me it's not. If you have a backup strategy and layers of security then you care less about removal. The important thing is to not get infected and have your data protected.

Even if an AV tells me that has cleaned up a system, I'll never trust that system again. So a format and complete cleanup is the next obligatory step.

6. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

If your system has had malware on it, no AV will remove "all of the viruses, spyware and rootkits". None guarantee removal.

Few tools and AVs will help though. Not sure why you singled out Avira, as most programs are being mentioned on this forum. Vipre, MSE, Avast, Kaspersky etc. If you find the AV that will remove all and guarantees it, let me know. :thumb:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  7. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I agree. I don't understand why you single out Avira when there's a lot of other vendors out there with the same cards on their hands.

But, to answer your question; in almost all cases, when your antivirus application (no matter what vendor that's behind the product) detects a threat, it also means it has prevented it from infecting your computer. The ones with better heuristic engines (like Avira and Kaspersky) will therefore be more likely to prevent an infection (especially 0-day) due to their better detection rate.

But then again, I agree, detect and prevent isn't the same thing. Use dual layers of protection. :)

8. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

In my experience trawling all over the darknet, you have very little, if any, chance of getting infected, if you have Avira's heuristics etc set on high/max, and interactive prompts so you can make the choice if it's legit or otherwise. Then you won't have to worry about anything.

The only caveat is "potentially" Zero Day stuff that no AV etc is immune from. But that's the beauty of having great heuristics, even then LOTS of stuff gets intercepted even without definitions :D

9. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Hes singling out Avira because theres a 5 page fanboism thread going on about Aviras awesome detection. I personally think Avira is useless. It detects, but cant prevent or remove. What good is it if it cant do what its supposed to?

10. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Alright, you've got a beef with Avira, we hear you.

You sent any samples to them though? That's what most do when wanting to see a program improve.

11. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i said the same thing in the other thread, WHO are these users that have something detected then not prevented on a regular basis? never had that experience myself and im not even a CURRENT user of Avira.

12. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

What if ...? Always keep a clean current image offline. Once a computer is found to be infected, can one really trust it was cleaned by a well meaning program? If my machine ever became infected I would cure it by partition deletion and reformat.

SourMilk out

13. codylucas16

codylucas16 Registered Member

Avira has excellent detection rates.. I have had it remove every virus it's ever detected to me without problems. The only thing with it is that the free version is not very good at all for preventing malware. The premium version, however, is rather excellent at preventing it.

14. CloneRanger

That's just NOT true o_O

Of course it can and does prevent, BIG time daily on my comp :D And as i can testify having to look after lots of other peoples comps.

I've already acknowledged in the other thread, that removal isn't always 100% though. But as it's tops in detecting/preventing you won't need removal if you set it properly :D

15. CloneRanger

@codylucas16

Have to totally disagree, that's NOT my daily experience using the free version. Maybe you don't have heuristics etc on high/max ?

16. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

As others already said in this thread, no av can assure the full and definitive removal of a detected malware. Today many malwares are complex trojans, often they include a rootkit too: so to remove completely a malware and to clean the system can be impossible.

The fact that sometimes an excellent av can't remove fully a malware doesn't mean that it has a low removal ability, but that it has an high detecting ability.

17. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i think hes referring to the webguard which blocks malicious sites?

18. CloneRanger

@firzen771

Thanks, is he, it wasn't mentioned o_O

Well i visit plenty of new malicious sites on a daily basis. Even without a Dedicated WG, Avira still jumps in before downloading malware files and it's either a full detect, or by heurisitcs. So not having the WG isn't a problem :D

19. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

http://www.av-comparatives.org/index.php has a removal test and so does this site http://www.anti-malware.ru

20. codylucas16

I tested the free version of avira ( personal tests) against malware not long ago and it missed 30% of the malware. The premium version blocked every piece. This was launching them from within the computer, not using the webguard.

21. CloneRanger

@codylucas16

Ahhhhhh, you should have said :D

You should try visiting malware sites with the free and MAX settings, i'm positive you'll see a BIG difference. If they don't get downloaded, they Can't infect :thumb:

22. progress

progress Guest

Detection = top
    Blocking = ok
    Removing = ok
    Update = flop

Kind regards :)

23. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I think people stateing that there is an A v B rule should be against the rules also, Its pretty annoying.

24. codylucas16

QFT. :ninja:

25. Watasha

Watasha Registered Member

Re: Everbody is talking about Avira's detection, what about blocking and removing mal

I thought I was the only one who noticed the "beware of A&B" creatures who seem to pop up out of nowhere. Just breathe guys....breeeeathe.....:shifty:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.