Ever feel like just dropping out of using technology?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Pukubigbrotha, Nov 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Actually, it's a little-known fact that one of the major recent ones did use primitive computer technology.

2. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

I think I know what you're referring to, but I'm not 100%. It wouldn't matter with the politics ban in place here though. I just wanted to make a point that what we're seeing isn't anything new or caused by technological advancement. It's just easier to implement some of the invasions due to humanity being so reliant upon and addicted to these technologies.

3. mirimir

Yes, nothing now, just better tools to do it more efficiently :(

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yeah I agree on the first part, you need to active the muscles or else they will fade away, personally I do a bit of gardening to name one example among other things. While others may go to the gym etc etc etc...

About books I don't like reading books, that goes for both e-books and traditional books. I get my part of reading here online. And after I saw a documentary about people that are dyslectic a few years ago i realized that I did sometimes experience the same symptom back in school while reading wich can be a reason why I don't enjoy it. And I still get it while reading online too sometimes, or a magazine, newspaper....

And movies, well I am not a movie freak that needs to watch the latest that comes out of hollywood as fast as possible.

So yes a life without the useful and entertaining internet would indeed be boring for me.
    But I don't know about you of course :)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

This was going on long before the internet became popular. You just didn't know it.

6. mirimir

Indeed.

And, for much of history, talking about finding out got you executed :eek:

The tables are better balanced now, I maintain.

7. cb474

cb474 Registered Member

Speaking of the total disregard of privacy and how it was treated in the past, there was an interesting article in the New Yorker, recently, by the Harvard Historian Jill Lepore, about the history of privacy. She says the demand for privacy is really a relatively recent phenomenon in history, it develops out of the history of religious mystery, and one crucial charateristic of the demand for privacy is that it allows follows (rather than precedes) the development of new technologies for revealing secrets. An interesting thought in the context of the heightened interest in privacy, following the revelations about just how able the NSA is able to sniff out people's secrets.

One of Lepore's points is that, historically, by the time people demand privacy, by the time they even conceive of the idea that they might want privacy, it is already too late. It is only a reaction to technologies which have already made the sort of privacy they desire impossible.

Anyway, it's an interesting read, if anyone wants to check it out. I think we often don't realize how historically relative and contigent concepts like privacy are.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/06/24/130624fa_fact_lepore

8. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

Just don't do something stupid like terrorism and carding, and why should you be so paranoid?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.