Evaluate my scan settings please

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by hamlet, Apr 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hamlet

hamlet Registered Member

I have been reading several other threads and have put together what I think are sensible scan settings and regimen for my needs. Can any of you more experienced people tell me if these items make good sense?

My basic idea is to start with a weekly scan to identify possible infections and then use a follow-up on-demand scan and clean to deal with the problems. I am a little uncomfortable having NOD delete things automatically.

1. I have scheduled a once-a-week scan using a slightly modified version of Blackspear's settings. I think a weekly scan works for me since I have pretty safe browsing habits. I have this weekly event set to just scan but not clean, delete, or quarantine any files. The switches I am using are as follows:

/adware /ah /all /arch+ /heur+ /log+ /mailbox+ /ntfs+ /pack+ /quit+ /scanboot+ /scanmbr+ /scanmem+ /scroll+ /sfx+ /unsafe /wrap+

I added the +quit so the scan window will go away when the process is completed.

I tested this using one of the eicar files and it performs as I would like. It scans all the files, notes which are infected, and exits. No actions are taken against the files.

2. Sometime following the above scan, I will look at the log and, if necessary, run an on-demand scan to clear out any infections. I would like to see the file names that NOD alerts on before having them deleted in case I want to have something excluded from future scans. I do have my on-demand scan set per Blackspear so it will automatically clean and/or delete any thing NOD identifies.

So, is this sensible or not? It has been probably over two years since I got a virus or trojan, so I may never find anything with the above process. I am just trying to be logically consistent and use the software's capabilities to match its functioning to my comfort level.

Thanks.

Hamlet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.