Eureka! Enter Senaka Malware

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by EASTER, Mar 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I could kick myself for turning off my HIPS while both installing bugged programs and running them, where i usually get lucky and find rootkits/malwares embedded and extract them for research and submission/reporting.

But i also climbed into a malware nest and before long realized after getting WinHost Services errors and a nice convenient system shutdown counter i couldn;t close, that when placed under one of my private build and RADIX drivers microscope, lo and behold i was entertaining the popular Seneka rootkit, aptly named below......

senekagwmrqfxm.sys

On further examination of the registry after wiping the rootkit driver, in my face showed a total of 47 Seneka registry entries along with a System32 collection of various supporting dll's and .dat files.

What ticked me off most is that i missed the exact point of entry because of turning off my HIPS, which i have a tendency to do in order to attract some of these bugs.

I backtracked thru the installers i was examining with AV's, AVZ, and a host of other probes leading me to believe that it actually flowed into IE at some webpage while in the malware's nest unawares.

It was a simple and easy process to yank it out completely with the tools at my disposal for such leeches, but i'm going back thru my yesterday routines again this time with HIPS on to see if i can locate it's source site.

Interesting research.

EASTER

2. ParadigmShift

ParadigmShift Registered Member

Gee Willakers, I miss all the fun. I want all those infections too! Ok, that's it, from now on, I'm going into the Internet without:

LUA + SRP + ARs + DFTs + AC on the LUA, and a browser all wrapped up tightly in a sandbox.

Those wonderful infiltrating, annoying, password stealing, operating system damaging, hostile system resource hogs aren't going to leave me out!

3. FiOS Dan

FiOS Dan Registered Member

Okay, I 'll bite. LUA and SRP I get but what are ARs, DFTs, and AC?

4. ParadigmShift

ParadigmShift Registered Member

Additional Rules
    Designated File Types
    Access Control (Permissions)

5. FiOS Dan

FiOS Dan Registered Member

Many thanks.

6. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I missed the site that sneaked it thru IE darn it, but it didn't take long to vacumm AWAY all of it's droppers and hidden stealth driver.

EASTER

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.