Eulalyzer found many of this in Ca eTrust AV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sweater, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    When I am installing the 1 year trial period of eTrust EZ antivirus, I analyze the agreement with Eulalyzer and it found lots of interesting words and phrases. :cautious: :blink: :eek:

How can you comment on (especially for those who have already used EZ anti-virus) this...is this okay, or maybe there are some hidden risks and hidden agenda on their agreement. Actually, i downloaded and installs only the antivirus program... and i found out that it also has some other of their softwares in their eTrust Internet Security Suite but it was not installed, only the antivirus was installed on which I need. :shifty: :cool:

Attached Files:

2. unhappy_viewer

unhappy_viewer Registered Member

You probrably want to read the entire full sentences or paragraphs to get more details. EULAlyzer works by picking up 'words of interest'. In the pic, that would be 'third party'.

So if for example an EULA had the following sentence:
    "In no way will any private information be passed to a third party and be used to their benefit."

EULAlyzer will note the word "third party" and the summary would be:
    "...private information be passed to a third party and be used to their benefit."

Isn't the hypothetical summary misleading?

3. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Hmmnn...:cautious: I was surprised with your explanation. So it meant, that Eulalyzer could make a "false positive" statements or findings? :rolleyes: o_O

I haven't look at it closely yet, maybe next time I used this thing again to analyze another liscense agreement. Thanks for the info...;) :thumb:

4. unhappy_viewer

unhappy_viewer Registered Member

I would not say its false positive. EULAyser was only built such that the 'interesting words' get picked up. It was was never meant to only point out all the privacy aspects of a EULA only. For example in your pic, the last sumary sentence reads:
    The full sentence may be along the lines of:
    "If user uses the product for the benefit of a third party who has not purchased a copy of the product, the user and the third party may have legal action taken against them."

The hypothetical full sentence highlights that CA may take action against a software pirate and the person who has obtained acopy of the pirated software. There is nothing in the sentence to suggest that your private information will be given to third-party vendors. EULAlyzer only picked this section up because it contained the words "third party" which can be associated with many spyware programs that gives your personal information to other people.

Similarly an EULA may contain a section that you would have interest in but does not contain an 'interesting word' as deemed by EULAlyzer, and therefore would not be picked up by EULAlyzer. For example you are interested in how many computer the EULA covers. The sentence may be such an example but because it does not have 'interesting words', EULAlyzer will never pick it up:
    "This license(EULA) covers the product installed on 1 computer."

That is why you must read the full EULA and not just the gist of it or sections only highlighted by EULAlyzer. Never assume or jump to conclusions.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.