Eudora? Pegasus?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Detox, Feb 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Anyone with strong feelings or comments? I looked a bit and kinda narrowed it to these two for a nice free email client, downloading Eudora now but want to see what some of you folks think!

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have tried both programs and am currently useing Eudora. I personally didn't particularly like pagasus, It didn't seem to work as well to me. And I like the GUI with eudora better. ;)

3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I'm partial to Eudora myself, and have used it (currently in sponsored mode) going clear back to Win 3.1 days. In fairness I've never tried Pegasus, so can't compare the two.

Two features about Eudora that I particularly like are both security related. It'll warn you if there's any attempt to auto-send to multiple addresses (typical behavior of many viruses), and it'll warn you if you try to attempt to open an executable attachment -- or even attachments that may contain executable macros, like DOC's.

Actually it even goes one better with that second one -- it sets up some kind of "hook" with those attachments, provided they're in the default folder. So that even if you try to open them with Eudora itself shut down, and try to use, e.g. Explorer, to open them, you'll still get the warning.

4. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Eudora it will be, so it seems. I installed and tried it out and I like it quite well so far.

5. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I keep trying and trying and trying ... but I still can't get the hang of reading what I've said before I post it. Time for another coffee. :D

But seriously, there's one heck of a lot of us around the internet who think you'll be quite happy with Eudora. My one and only complaint, which I've mentioned to their tech people several times, is that I wish they'd move that Qualcomm link away from the lower scroll button. Heaven knows how many times I've hit the link when I was trying to scroll.

6. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I'm really liking it so far although it will take a bit of getting used to. I can't seem to get it to check my email when I start the application, though.

7. meneer

meneer Registered Member

It seems every mail client requires some getting used to, more so than browsers ;)

Eudore (silly ad version to get all features) and Pegasus (don't like the interface) are not to my liking.

Did you try YAMC?

(I use The Bat!, but it's interface is quite old fashioned :doubt:. I chose it because of the ability to handle S/MIME certificates).

8. JayK

JayK Poster

Pegasus is what I would choose if security is parmount, but it's a little unstable if you keep a lot of email (about 2000+) in one folder.

Eudora is okay, but you need to configure it a bit out of the box. Though to be fair I havent tested the latest builds.

9. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

phew 2000+? Hmm I always ditch all my old emails after a couple days if not immediately so I guess that wouldn't be any problem to me. I might just give Pegasus a go as well; I have another email account to setup yet and it could be nice having a different app for the different accounts.

10. deadmanschest

deadmanschest Registered Member

Pegasus by a long shot..

:)

I'm a big fan of Pegasus - very configurable, very secure, pretty good for exprt/import of addresses and such.

You can run multiple instances of the app with separate users and accounts - I keep diff accounts separate for ease of use and security. You can send direct email to other 'users' on the same PC or network via just the user name . For example my wife, say 'Susie' has her own username and instance. I just send/forward messages to 'Susie' locally..

Its supports IMAP as well as POP. I think it does a million things that I don't evenunderstand.

The first time I tried out Eudora it was immediately making outbound connections all over the place - I already had some ad servers blocked and was getting firewall alerts and such. I dumped it. I had no way to tell if it was just the Qualcom ads or what...?

Pegasus for my (no) money....heheh

11. doug6949

doug6949 Registered Member

I am currently using Pegasus and don't like it. The interface is not intuitive and after two months I still don't understand it.

But then, I don't like the newer versions of Eudora either. Seems like all the latest email software is overloaded with features. I sure wish someone would make a safe clone of Outlook Express.

12. JayK

JayK Poster

It's was perfectly intutive to me when I used it, but I understand It's not a good email client for a beginner.

Pegasus is lacking some features in the IMAP department I hear.

13. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Update - I actually felt like using Eudora was a little "clunky" and not so intuitive; so I tried the latest Pegasus today and I was deleting Eudora in no time... I do believe I'm a Pegasus/Mailwasher man now :D

14. deadmanschest

deadmanschest Registered Member

Good Choices Detox...

:) Ditto Detox - just two (I think) little issues with Pegasus that bug me...

1. If you use multiple Users (ie I have a number of separate Users to keep multiple accounts in multiple instances) the Title Bar at the top just reads Pegasus (for all Users), you have to hunt around to see the little Status bar at the bottom to find the Username, and there is no other indication, except for how you name your Folders, of what account you are in...Therefore I have named most folders to specify the User name/Account.

2. With multiple users, if you use the mailsendto utility to make Pegasus your 'system default mailer' than it remembers the 'last used User id' as the default, rather than say the User with Admin privileges, so that if you hit MailSend or whatever, it opens Pegasus and you're halfway thru a message before realising that you're in the wrong account ..

But those are quibbles. I also use MW to preview my mail, rather than download and filter in Pegasus..

Dmc.

15. JayK

JayK Poster

Now we got to get you off Internet explorer...

16. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Yup prolly so; I reckon I'll check out that firebird I keep seeing you post about *puppy*

17. JayK

JayK Poster

Detox

It's firefox now.

Do me a favour, no matter if you decide or not to use firefox, Opera, K-melon, etc as your primary browser or even stay with MISE promise me you won't get suckered into using one of those "browsers" like Myie2 or Avant.

18. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Don't think that will be a problem ;)

I've got Firefox 50% downloaded now and I'll be trying it out tomorrow or Monday :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.