EU going after Google next!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

It looks like the EU are gunning for Google according to Reuters.

2. tesk

tesk Registered Member

Well, this is going to end with the same as Microsoft - they are being judged to do something complete stupid, which - in my head - is unfair against a company!

It is like buying a Car but without any glasses, because it is manufactured at the same company, which make it impossible for the other glass-makers to sell any glasses for new cars.

Come on. I really start to think that EU is just out gaining money.

3. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Completely agree! :thumb: Hope they go for Apple too, really unfair as things are!

If this continues, Windows have to be shipped without Explorer (XYPlorer, Totalcommander...), Browser, Media Player, Defragmenter, Gui (Stardock, Samuritze...), Search (copernic, google search...), burning and i could continiue....

4. Daveski17

I'm not so sure, Microsoft have used underhand business tactics for a while. I think that the EU is honestly trying to level the playing field in some way. Unfortunately, with all the best intentions in the world, they (the EU) often seem to make a pig's ear of it all!

The EU are like any bureaucracy, they just love making rules, often to try to justify their own jobs. o_O

I can almost see your analogy, but I think that the situation is probably more complex. If it isn't, you can rely on the EU to overcomplicate it for us anyway! :blink:

I don't think that they'd even be competent at that! ;)

5. Daveski17

Who'd miss it? (honestly) ;)

6. tesk

tesk Registered Member

Well, I have to admit that when you BUY Windows you MUST be prepared to get the software "bundled" to the pack "Windows" you buy.

What about .Net Framework? More and more software rely on it. ALL websites works in IE 7-8. If not, they are not "important" (like personal IE-haters blogs and so on), so you are experiencing the best compatibility by using IE on the internet.

It is like when I just bought my new Acer, I am also ready to uninstall all the unnecessary software (Adobe Reader, McAfee etc) and replace it with other software. I think that EU is threating Microsoft unfair, because others companies are doing it too.

I really hope that EU is going after Apple next, as they are bundling Itunes, which makes them dominate the market of Media Player on Mac, which is unfair to the competition. Quicktime too.

I could continue, it is really not fair only to target one company, when it is widely accepted first of all and it often helps people too.

But EU is EU, and I have always been against that form for control. It is nice with open borders and no VAT when buying around in EU, but that they can FORCE their members to do something, because EU dictates it, that is wrong.

7. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i wuld.

8. Daveski17

De gustibus non est disputandum! :D

9. Daveski17

I know what you mean, but I really don't like IE much.

Opera ASA is behind this thing with MS but I think that the EU will tackle other companies eventually (Google apparently being next).

The EU worry me as well, for a variety of reasons. :eek:

10. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

The European Union's antitrust does a great job, considering the often putrefied mechanisms of the old continent.

My opinion is that all american companies will find against them the european antitrust when they use not correct methods to compete with european companies. Unfortunately they are a bit slow to examine cases and the negotiations take ages. Usually when the European antitrust rings your bell it's almost certain that you'll have to pay.

Adding to this story the fact that "an Italian judge found three Google executives guilty of violating the privacy of an Italian student who was bullied in a 2006 video posted on Google Video", I must admit it was a great day for me ( I have always admitted that I "hate" Google not without reason ) and a bad day for Google. Sometimes happiness comes from places you don't really expect it...

11. tesk

tesk Registered Member

But what do you want Google to change? You are not FORCED to use their products - if you do not like that they are using all your personal data to make ads which is targeting you, then use another service.

I love Google simply because they are so awesome with all their software they develop. Gmail, Android, Google Earth, Google Search and so on. Everything is widely used Apps.

The only software company I can think of who is forcing their users to use a special software - their own software - is Apple. And that is legal - to EU. o_O

If you own an Ipod you have to use Itunes without "breaking the law" by Jailbraking the device.

I must admit I am loosing faith in the politicians who apparently do not know what they are doing currently are doing.

12. Daveski17

I must admit I like Gmail. I still use SRWare Iron rather than Google Chrome though. I'd probably buy a Netbook with the Google OS if the price was right, but I'd rather go for Ubuntu.

I had a bad experience with updating Firefox & the Google toolbar once...:mad:

I have since waved goodbye to both of them...

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

This is all they're going after Google for? This is another Microsoft antitrust deal, doomed to just waste money and make politicians look good. If they want to investigate Google, investigate how much damned data they're hoarding with every piece of software they make. I'm completely convinced every app/service they come up with has a primary purpose of collecting more data, and if customers like the service, well, that's icing on the cake because they're less likely to complain about every detail of their life being stored away for Google's use.

14. Daveski17

I think it is slowly beginning to dawn on people that this information/data may fall into the wrong hands eventually. They don't call SRWare Iron the Tinfoil Hat browser for nothing...

15. firzen771

well no idea wat u just said...

16. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

They should have shipped Windows without any browser. :D

17. Daveski17

It's Latin (an old Indo-European language).

Phrase:

'de gustibus non est disputandum'

~ Usually translated as - 'There's no accounting for taste'.

Literally, “There is no arguing about taste.”

~ Wiktionary

18. firzen771

ah thx for clarifying.

19. Daveski17

OK. :thumb:

20. Noob

Noob Registered Member

EU should S*** all their anti trust :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The one they should be suing is Apple, they always make you use their "propietary" software, specially iTunes! and patent every single thing they can :D :thumbd: :thumbd:

21. Daveski17

In my opinion the ballot screen was a bit of a non-event anyway. You don't have to have it if you don't want it. There are a lot of people who are aware of other browsers now though who weren't before. As I don't tend to trust statistics I don't really know what effect it's really had.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.