EU court: Countries can't impose Internet filters

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by lotuseclat79, Nov 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

EU court: Countries can't impose Internet filters.

-- Tom

2. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Good news, thanks!

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Honestly, if SOPA passes I'll lose all faith in this country and move somewhere else.

Or not.

Props to EU regardless.

4. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

What's with the state map on the page instead of the article? I've taken issue with the EU multiple times, but I applaud decisions like this...too bad it won't work where I am.

@Hungry: Get used to stuff like SOPA and restrictions being at least attempted everywhere. SOPA will pass, in some form or another. If they have to word it differently, they will. Many times it's the language that gets bills killed. Change it around some and, even though the bills will still do exactly what was complained about, it'll pass. The U.S has increasingly become hardcore about intellectual property/patents and all that, so even if SOPA gets shot down completely, something else will take its place.

6. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Well, it certainly sounds good. The EU have often bought in laws that benefit the average person or are counters to more draconian governmental decisions. Unfortunately, my country, which although being a member of the EU & European by definition of being connected to Europe via the Continental Shelf, often chooses to ignore such rulings. Usually citing various specious & disingenuous reasons why not to adopt them (related to big business/multi nationals no doubt). We seem to be moving politically more towards the US than Europe, much to my chagrin.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  7. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

Yes SOPA should have everyone concerned. How does something like that even get the time of day?

8. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Well, IE was a fiasco... but, this one... :thumb: Sometimes, I do love Europe. :D Too bad it doesn't work like this more often... :blink:

9. Daveski17

Not really. We just got a browser choice screen, which most people promptly ignored.

I think more good comes out of Brussels than bad. Unfortunately the right-wing press fixates on the not so good.

10. Hungry Man

I had a fun time in Brussels. Mussels, french friends, waffles, and chocolate. What the hell else could I want from the world?

11. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Windows 7 N (European version) version has no IE in it. That's the fiasco; not the choice of browsers. I couldn't care less for the choice of browsers; but, taking away IE from European versions? Come on... that was low. :thumbd: (Damn Opera folks. :ouch: )

12. Hungry Man

I just think it's hilarious that it was Opera who was accusing them.

do they think it's going to change things for them? lmao

13. Daveski17

Where did you get this information from? I am English & my copy of Win 7 has both 64 bit & 32 bit versions shipped with it. My brother lives in France & he had IE shipped with the version that he bought in France. As I said earlier, the right-wing press often demonise decisions & EU policies adopted &/or implemented in Brussels. It's best not to believe everything that you read.

14. Daveski17

Opera ASA need to fix their browser before whinging about MS. ;)

15. Hungry Man

They need to do something, that's for sure. Starting lawsuits isn't the right move.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.