EU antitrust regulators investigate Microsoft over browsers

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Pinga, Jul 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

This frustrates me to no end. I see no harm in an operating system having their own browser pre-installed.

Every other operating system in the world comes pre-installed with a specific browser and I don't see the EU going after them. This is a double standard.

If Microsoft has the monopoly in the OS market, it doesn't mean its necessary to go after them because they provide the necessary features for end users.

The same goes for the media player case. If they are going to do this then they should require all operating systems provide the same ballot setup to ensure equality for all.

2. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

You obviously don't understand it, that's probably the reason for your frustration. The EU doesn't 'go after them because they provide the necessary features for end users'.
    It does because of the reasons mentioned in above posted quotes on anti-monopoly laws, like licenses for access to IP which cost crippling sums of money, thereby preventing a more competitive market creating more choice and lower prices.
    You know, like in any other part of economy where anti-monopolistic laws and regulations have been implemented.

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

What they're making illegal is IE being the default browser without another browser installed on the OS.

This is idiotic. As long as users have the choice to use another browser why responsibility is it of Microsoft to *not* package their own software into their operating system?

If MS were making it difficult to install another browser I'd get it.

This is just silly. It's almost comical but it's so damn stupid.

"Hey, here's my OS. I know, you're buying Microsoft software, but I actually have to package Google and Mozilla software in here too."

I'm fine with calling Microsoft a monopoly. I'm fine with saying they abuse that monopoly. I'm fine with governments restricting what they do based on that.

But forcing Microsoft to put other parties software onto theirs? Should Adobe be preinstalled so that Paint doesn't have a monopoly? I think explorer really has a monopoly on UIs maybe one of those random third party softwares for changing the layout feels tehy can't break into the market - let's start packaging those too.

At what point do people realize that this is ridiculous?

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

So every monopoly out there has to tell you that the competition exists and you should try it?

5. guest

guest Guest

an average Joe should be able to delete it without problems
    and install what he wants
    ask yourself, can he do this?

6. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Of course not.
    Only those ones who, after more than a decade of litigation, have been found guilty of abuse of market domination by the entire EU court of law system and have agreed to a 'browser choice screen' as part of settlements and fines like Microsoft has.

7. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

You can tell who was using computers in the 90s and who wasn't by their stance on Microsoft's abuse of monopoly :)

8. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

You can tell who the haters are, the ones that can't leave the past behind them. Not to worry, it's trendy to hate on Microsoft and forget the bad things Apple and Google do. :cool:

Being stuck with crippled IE6 and low quality websites really compares to having your WiFi data sniffed by cars taking photos, or your cellular data tracked by pre-iOS5 versions.

Microsoft has real competition now, the growth of Apple and Google had nothing to do with the EU's punishment. They can't afford to take monopolistic actions anymore, get over yourself and enjoy the consumer rewards of them competing.

9. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

as the same old tired rhetoric crept in, this thread closes. I'm sure we'll hear more if there are further developments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.