EU antitrust regulators investigate Microsoft over browsers

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Pinga, Jul 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/07/17/oukin-uk-eu-microsoft-idUKBRE86G0CV20120717

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Looks like the EU needs more money.

3. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

I hope they will get more money. Go EU! That's the spirit. :)

4. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

Sure. Go after MS for bundling their own browser, as if nobody else does that.

5. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

They should go after Google for offering Chrome with every third party software around.

6. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

SirDrexl, The Hammer,

Does Google prevent the presence of other browsers, as that's that Microsoft were forcing OEMs to do.

The punishment may be daft (I question the effectiveness of the browser ballot) but they have failed to comply with keeping it on until some point in 2014.

7. elapsed

Err, no, I suggest you re-read the original case. They were punished for bundling the browser the with OS, similar to how they were being punished for bundling WMP with XP. This has nothing to do with OEM's. I've seen laptops bundled with so much rubbish (including browsers) with peoples laptops I've lost count, I've yet to come across a "pure" laptop. I'm usually the one wiping them to vanilla for folks.

As a follow up, the EU want to investigate Microsoft again, this time over Windows RT's browser choice, an OS that has 0% market share.

Obviously, Apple gets free rain with this with bundling Safari with OSX, as does Ubuntu with bundling Firefox. If you want to only count the dominant OS's like Windows, then iOS is an example. Dominant on the mobile market and bundling Safari.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

What does that mean? Is the antitrust regulator wrong?

9. NGRhodes

From the "PRELIMINARY ASSESSMENT" section:

From the EU commisions "COMMISSION DECISION of 16.12.2009" document: http://ec.europa.eu/competition/antitrust/cases/dec_docs/39530/39530_2671_3.pdf

10. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Is there an Apple device that does not include Safari? How is it different?

11. elapsed

No where does it mention that other browsers must not be installed, which was exactly what you were implying, incorrectly.

I didn't even realize that OEMs had a choice to ship Windows without a browser (dumb), I thought IE was part of the OS! But heavens forbid that MS want to push Windows with IE, as if the user doesn't have a choice.

12. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...ace_billions_in_new_fines_over_browser_choice

That's enough for me. No point in trying to spin things. If any company feels that its access is being limited somewhere or the other, it too could approach the antitrust regulator either directly or through proxies.

13. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Aggrieved parties should approach the regulator.

14. elapsed

Please focus on what's being said, no one here debated that or tried to spin anything. The original reason of being forced to use the screen in the first place is being debated, not the success or failure of implementing the screen itself.

15. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Like this: Looks like the EU needs more money.

16. NGRhodes

Sorry, I just realised I was thinking of some of the previous OEM agreements that were subject of the antitrust case in the USA which prevent OEMs installing any other browser.

17. elapsed

At that point in time nothing was being discussed yet ;) Also, my comment wasn't a response to posts that don't exist, like your "spinning" comment was.

18. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I don't really get it. Why do they think it should be illegal to package IE with Windows? These cases are so stupid. A company can't bundle one product with their other product... ridiculous.

19. Tsast42

Tsast42 Registered Member

It makes the politicians feel relevant. If there is an aspect of Microsoft's implementation of Internet Explorer that I find objectionable it is Microsoft's designing the new versions of IE to only run on their latest OS. It is ludicrous to object to including a browser in any operating system. What next, Notepad? Paint?

20. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

It stems from the era when MS obliterated Netscape and then integrated IE in their OS making it unremovable.
    Having a level playing field has required quite some litigation before Redmond backed down. I really don't get why so many folks are surprised that the EU is strong on anti-monopoly measures. The EU has just taken it all the way, where US regulators halted their efforts earlier.
    The current MS-EU settlement shows that MS offering a 'browser choice screen' is enough for the EU.
    MS forgetting the entire settlement isn't just a small technical glitch imo, seems more like MS raising a wet index finger and checking the current anti-monopoly wind direction/EU stance.

21. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

Maybe because in that case, Apple is also considered the manufacturer, so they can do what they want with their computers. Whereas in MS's case, you have one company providing the OS while another provides the hardware. An OEM may want to include a different browser. I had thought that the issue was that MS would not allow Windows to be licensed unless IE was the default (and only, I suppose) browser, but I'm not sure.

22. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Maybe spend some time over past events? Then, maybe you'll get it? And I'm mean this specific issue and not generalities.

BTW, who said it is, or should be, "illegal to package IE with Windows?" Where did you get that from? There's a lot of spinning going round by sources who conceal their allegiance or funding, so make sure you verify stuff before believing it (or not). Seriously, I expected a more considered post.

Anyway, looks like the scope widens:
    http://betanews.com/2012/07/20/eu-trustbusters-tire-of-microsoft-tricks-probe-windows-8/

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  23. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Good idea :D

http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/04/382

http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=MEMO/07/359

http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/08/318

http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=MEMO/12/500

24. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Judgment of the General Court (Second Chamber), 27 June 2012
    http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:62008TJ0167:EN:HTML

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  25. DarkPhoenix

DarkPhoenix Registered Member

They, er.. Missed it? They missed delivering a piece of code that was worked on so they can be in compliance with The Law to 28 million people.. this billion plus dollar company didn't have anyone watching the compiling of the service pack that was supposed to have this??

Does anyone really believe that? This can be nothing than a bold face Lie.

Microsoft deserves to lose every dime anyone can take from them. Microsoft needs to go the way of the Timex Sinclair and the Texas Instruments Ti-99 - What.. you never heard of those popular personal computers? Look em up. That's what needs to happen to Microsoft. Less than 20 years from now it needs to be said, " Microsoft.. never heard of them". We had those home computers 20 years ago and they are all forgotten.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.