eTrust promo/AVGFree

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by minacross, Jul 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minacross

minacross Registered Member

I have an old machine (celeron 300 MHz with 128Mb Ram). Currently I am using eTrust promo as my main AV scanner, both ClamWin and F-prot for DOS as backup scanners.
    I wonder if AVGFree is better than eTrust regarding detection and repairing. It seems there are very few tests for eTrust.
    Anyone can help? :rolleyes: o_O

2. thomask

thomask Guest

Don't ever use AVG on an old system like windows 98!! It could blow down your system! eTrust is really good. I have it now too and I like it more than F-Secure, PC-Cillin, Panda, Norton, Mc-Afee, Antivir AVG (!), clamAV, Avast, Stop-Sign and Kaspersky

thomask

3. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

ETrust Promo is a good, free antivirus but it doesn't scan incoming mail in Outlook Express (though it does scan the attachments).

4. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

It's NO better than antivirus above. Only better than AVG in detection... I don't think that AVG will down the system, but eTrust is better in detection and is light to computer...

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Both scan engines in eTrust promo have much better detection rates than AVG. And it does run much lighter.

6. sam42

sam42 Guest

i notice someone has used stop-sign, dont use it anyone, as it is a trojan pls pls dont use it!!!!

STOP-SIGN IS A TROJAN! BEWARE

7. bigc73542

If you like the eTrust promo you should get the commercial version eTrust R 7.1 enterprise here it runs better and is an improved version with support and if installed as client you get life time updates.

8. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

OFF-TOPIC but.........................

just to clarify, I think people need to read more info on what sam is talking about.

HERE you can make up your own mind. There was a verrrrry long thread at DSL a long time ago regarding this product. This particular one is from last year.

TAS

9. iwod

iwod Registered Member

How is it better? i thought the M$ promo version is the same?

Also the detection, so far i can't find much test on it. And Av-compratives test on CA doesn't look too good either.

10. BlackHawk1

BlackHawk1 Registered Member

11. bigc73542

I think some of you are still confusing EtrustEZ av with Etrust R 7.1 enterprise or etrust 7 promo enterprise. They are not the same and don't have the same configuration options The enterprise version has two scanning engines and will scan more options such as NTFS streams, trojans. with hueristics and scans for garbage viruses and other malware. and quite a bit more. I don't care for eTrust EZ av but I really do like eTrust R 7.1 enterprise, it is a very good av.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2005
  12. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

I agree that the etrustv7 promo is a neat AV. I used it for a year or so and never had any issues. My only hassle with it is after a format I lost my disk with the setup and now that the link to the promo has expired I cannot redownload it . I would take advantage of the offer to purchase that was posted but Its only within usa . Has any one any links for free promo that are still active ?

13. bigc73542

here is a direct download link to eTrust promo. I just tried it and it is still active ;) eTrust download

14. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Thanks bigc your a gentleman

15. bigc73542

Just glad to be able to help ;)

16. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

17. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:) Having just gotten rid of a machine with very limited memory and using Windows98, I can attest to the fact that AVG can be regarded as some what of a memory hog. Although I currently use AVG (Free version) and like it because of it's ease of operation and maintenance, I would not recommend it for those with limited memory machines.

As I said in an earlier post I really have nothing against AVAST, although I found it to be more cumbersome than AVG, an in the past it has been known to place files where it wants and not necessarily where the owner of the machine would like them to be, an these files can be difficult to delete if one wants to do so.

If one has looked at the various posts on these type subjects they will find that there are a varied range of opinions. I have come to the conclusion that it's a matter of what works for the individual. The best coarse of action is to try an practice safe computing, but even that is not a 100% guarantee. I know this for an absolute fact (Look at the ten-forward entry). For the record I was using F-port at the time.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :D :cool: ;) :eek: :D :p

18. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

19. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Pest Patrol may be good. But the Av is a total different matter

I haven't been able to find a single good reviews on them . Be it the VET engine or InT engine. May be combing 2 engine working together is very good?

20. Simon Phoenix

Simon Phoenix Registered Member

Any screenshots? I am looking for this av, is there a free trial link for this?

21. minacross

minacross Registered Member

all I can post is a screenshot for ver. 7 promo :rolleyes:
    here it's.. :doubt:

Attached Files:

22. Simon Phoenix

Simon Phoenix Registered Member

That's the same shot as the enterprise version I think, I think I downloaded a version but it didn't have both engines scanning at the same time.

23. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

It doesn't have the ability to but you can schedual the Vet engine for RTM and the Innoculate engine for OD. :)

24. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:eek: This is going to blow some people's minds: In your situation, if one is going to use a "FREE" virus protection programs, an although I think their updater is a hunk of junk, an there are limitations as to it's e-mail protection, I would recommend AntiVir/Classic. I told you this would blow some minds. I would however not recommend this one to individuals with computers having larger memory capacity, those I would recommend either AVG or AVAST. Remember I am only talking about "FREE" programs.

Thanks
    Wildman
    :cool: ;) :eek: :D :p

25. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

If I got this how long do I get free updates? One year at least I would hope. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.