eTrust EZ Antivirus 2005 r7.0.7.7 - Mini review and thoughts

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Sputnik, Jun 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Hey all again,

Personally I've never been using or atempt to use this one, expect the ZoneAlarm with Antiviurs wich uses the same (VET) engine. Now the local computer shop gives one year licenses with their computers, and a collegue asked me about my opinion on this one... I couldn't give him proper advice, I'll write down the thought I had, and please correct me or add me where you can :)

Installation:
    Easy as it can get, run the setup, provide your serial number and reboot. It downloads the most recent engine + signatures during installation. I even think those components are not even part (included) in the installer.

First Start:
    It displays a little screen after bootup with it's status, so you can check if it's working. I found no configuration needed since all default settings are good enough. Also there are not many configuration possibilties.

Interface:
    Very attractive and easy to use, the colors and interface style do remind me on F-Secure in some way. I found the interface n00b proof and simple like other home products like Norton.

Recource usage:
    It feels very very light, not a single slowdown noticed. It feels lighter then NOD32 and F-Prot, but F-Prot uses less ram tho... eTrust using less then 8mb Ram when running in Realtime.

Detection:
    Well then, here's the big question. I really don't know how to rate it's detection. I know it won't be as good like Kaspersky, BitDefender ect. But how does it compare to other products like avast!, TrendMicro and so on... CA says that eTrust has "Advanced Hereustics" anybody can give information on this?

Hope my threat makes sense. I really want to know how this antivirus is, since my collegue can use it for free a year, that saves money :)

Attached Files:

2. Sputnik

Recource usage:

Attached Files:

3. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

I have EZ 7.0.6.7 installed on the kids comp for about 4 months now and I am impressed with it's protection. It has caught a lot of malware so far with nothing slipping by. I verify this by doing backup scans occassionally with Drweb cureit and Kaspersky online scan and neither has found any malware that EZ has missed.
    As far as the heuristics, I cannot say how good they are.
    It does system scans very fast and is extremely light. I would like to have more in depth details on the features of this AV as it has done a very good job of protecting so far but CA does not post a lot of info on it's features. Also I have not had to contact support so I cannot vouch for their responsiveness or lack there of.
    All in all, I think it is a good AV and I would have no problem recommending.

4. iwod

iwod Registered Member

HTTP scanning?

5. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

Not that I am aware of. But maybe someone can confirm this.

6. Sputnik

No, just ordinary real-time scanning.

7. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

The only 'info-bytes' I can add here is that my brother uses the Zone Alarm Security Suite (ZASS) with CA's Vet AntiVirus engine. He seems to believe that since CA's eTrust has won the respect of many US companies (including the large Fortune 500 company he works for), it must be pretty darn good.

However, insofar as its implementation in ZASS, I have noted that while it's detection appears to be very good, it's virus cleansing/removal capabilities leave much to be desired. To be specific, while it clearly identifies infected archive files, it can not remove the virus imbedded within an archive file! I don't know if the 'full version' of eTrust EZ Antivirus 2005 has the same limitation, but I certainly consider this to be a major weakness of ZASS' CA Vet implementation! :p

8. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

The full version of EZ will not remove a virus from an archive but it will detect and remove/repair upon opening.

9. I wouldnt use it, I did for short time and got infected right away. I used to go out of my way to mentally delude myself that the lesser lights were just as effective as the heavy hitters and that their 100% ITW certification was proof but this theory proved flawed in real life so I use the obvious choice Kaspersky.

10. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Fellow Creatures,
    Purchased this for the family machine today. Recommended by Best Buy Geek Squad guy :rolleyes:. So what, right.

Could not pass up the price on this. $19.99. Might be able to get a rebate if I can locate my old paper proof of prior purchase, bring the cost down to less then $10. :)

For those interested. The stores that I noted this may be obtained at this price: Staples and Target. At least in my part of the forest.

Nice review here as to what I should expect. Thanks. ;)

11. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

That shoulda told you to run, and run very fast, to another AV. :p

PS: There are still places to get ezTrust for free I believe. (i've seen links posted)

12. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

I think you will be fine with this on the family machine. I did basically the same (kids comp), and it has provided very good protection, with nothing getting by it so far.
    Inexperienced users do not have to make decisions as what to do when a virus is found, EZ takes care of it.

13. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

You can get 1 year free or buy a 2-year license HERE.

EZ (Vet) has a good ITW record at VirusBulletin. Hey Merc, it might be wise to run an AT alongside it, wot? Ewido, maybe?

14. mercurie

Understood, but I am in the data base as already gotten one free year.

Version 6.3.09 Free License to expire Aug. 15 2005.

They are already sending me emails to renew at full loaded price way above $19.99. Also how bout "Pest Patrol are you full of spywares try us out"... I will pass on that one as I feel I made a wise choice years ago and passed on it before CA bought it and went with BoClean.

I'm sure someone will tell me there is a way to fool them and get another year free. But I have standards too. ;)

This thread shows a nicer GUI then the old 6.xx. I did note some on the shelf 6 versions. Upgrades I'm sure would be allowed at any rate.

15. mercurie

Thanks my friend. As you can see above I run BoClean, Spybot SD and will likely do Anti-Spy after it is out of beta. I knew of this link. I was wondering if they would allow me to do two Years...seeing as I had one free decided I would not try. I really did not set out to buy this today. I almost bit on the Dr. Web Green special. But that is o. k. can't purchase and load them all. :D

Yes, Honyak I remembered your post number 3 or someone posting something similar. Thanks. ;)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2005
  16. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

I got the two years for $19.95, but I have to renew the license at the end first year. I have heard this can be an exercise in futility from others.
    It is interesting to see that you state they want a higher fee for renewal, as I would have thought it would be the same or lower. There is always oem versions for $12.00 at software sites if that is the case. No wonder they do not post renewal fees on CA site.

Sorry for the repeat, I forgot I posted that earlier. Dopey me.

17. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Pest Patrol is a top-kit product.. Even with CA purchasing them, I don't think their quality has degraded in the short time CA has been dealing with them.

<Self Edited to remove comments that might offend fans of CA products.>

Last edited: Jul 19, 2005
  18. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

funny you should say that honyak as I remember now about 2 ago I got a years license for the firewall at $19 or so . The renewal was to be $12 the following year they sent me a renewal notice for more than the first years price .. I didnt renew as I decided to load back look n stop. I am using kav lite (cyberscrub ) its a 5 yr license and after all the discounts it has only cost me $35 for 5 yrs. Its so simple and has always been my first choice in the days when Kaspersky sold it. excellent all round protection and perfect for the family as you really do not need any thing else apart from a firewall .

19. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

@SDS909 .... I tried to explain to you in another post that facts should be backed up. Would you mind putting your friends name in the thread so that this info can be confirmed. I am sure that you understand what libel is. Please either retract the previous statement or prove fact.

EDIT - Thread sent to Computer Associates for review

20. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

In response to certain allegations being made here on Wilders.

Attached Files:

• ezav.jpg
      ezav.jpg
      File size:
      31.9 KB
      Views:
  21. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

<Edited so not to offend fans of CA products>

22. Labrie

Labrie Registered Member

So if you cant prove what you say is better not to bash a company as Computer Associates.

23. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

wow that was a fast response to you Mikel 108. Iv been trying through countless emails following countless circles trying to contact CA for a legit update link for e trust v7 promo and engine etc that they promised would be available for life for those who subscribed back in 2003 .I have not had one response in 12 months yet you get a response within a few hours . and not from a machine . Im impressed.

24. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

I edited my posts so not to offend fans and users of CA's products.

Although that doesn't change the fact that I wouldn't touch their products with a 10 foot pole because I don't approve of their company policies for employees AND it hasn't had good results measured against my malware collection.

The point being - all of that has little relevance to this thread, and was only serving to derail it.

25. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

You are certainly entitled to your convictions and opinions, but you are right, It had little relevance to this thread.
    Just some members relating their experiences with the product, I failed to see any fan posts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.