etrust and etrust EZ

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by christophs, Apr 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. christophs

christophs Registered Member

Last edited: Apr 8, 2006
  2. christophs

3. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Hi christophs

My experience with ZoneAlarmtSecutitySuite is good, the AV runs smooth and lite, without problems.

That being said, IMO I don't think the etrust version have good detection past the ITW sample test, I've never seen a test where they do. I think you would be better served with ZoneAlarm firewall paired with either avast! or AntiVir AV, these two AV's have better overall detection, IMO.

4. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

etrust always does 100% on itw tets but average on zoo malware... but also you gotta think you also get a good firewall and antispyware in the suite so odnt just rely on the antivirus, overall its a good suite

5. christophs

Thanks!
    But does someone knoow about the difference between etrust Antivirus and etrust EZ Antivirus?

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

E-trust av is the enterprise version with the dual scanning engines and etrust ez is the single scan engine commercial version. in my use of these av's i have foung that etust av R7.1 enterprise has better trojan and malware detection than the commercial version because the enterprise version uses different drivers than the commercial. The detection rate is not the same between these two av's

7. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Both are products of Computer Associates but as bigc points out, eTrust AV is the corporate AV with 2 engines, VET and INOCULATE, while eTrust EZ AV is the Home AV with only the VET engine.

A free eTrust AV is still available from here if you register first.

Given the choice I would also go with the eTrust AV.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

BTW, I found its antispyware averade or less than average, they need to improve it significantly.
    To me their good thing is Firewall with HIPS.

9. lab

lab Registered Member

I've used it for about 3 yrs. now, I have the CA internet Security Suite right now and I have never had any problems with it.

10. fax

fax Registered Member

Well, the VET antivirus although on average it is OK for normal users it is not up with the quality of the rest of the ZA suite as well as the majority of commercial antivirus on the market. It is pretty weak, for example, on Trojans.

By the way, they were invited by av-comparatives.org to participate to latest tests but they were not interested! I wonder why....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It is really a pity since ZASS is an excellent security suite.

And....this is my opinion...:)

Fax

11. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

The anti-spyware capabilities of the suite as a whole are rather good - but you have to include the Operating System FW and Privacy section, which help prevent spyware installing and getting onto your system in the first place. The AS scanner is only part of the overall package. Unfortunately you have to know how to use/configure these things to get best results, and consequently not everyone will be able to get the full benefit.

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

U are right. With OS firewall, it becomes very strong indeed. About a year back, one of my friend got so many spywares, browser hijacker and trojans by P2P, and although SpyBot, McAfee and Adaware cleaned many but still browser was being hijacked. I installed ZAP and it immediately popped that something( don,t remember tha name)is trying to inject code in IE, I stopped that injection and no more browser Hijacking. Since then I have very good remarks about it. But it is a fact that AV and Spyware scanner are not so well, esp spyware scanner is rather poor. If they can improve these, it will become even stronger.

13. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

Their HIPS is only useful if the user knows what they're doing. I remember many times wondering if I should let something inject something into something.exe. :T

As for the AV, it's not the best, but I've never gotten infected with it.

14. lab

lab Registered Member

I must be really lucky then because for the last three yrs. I have been lurking around in the darkest places I can find.

15. fax

fax Registered Member

Well, I was not, but don't get me wrong... I still use ZASS in one PC (free 1y license after the beta testing :D :D ) and all the features of ZA including HIPS are of excellent quality (apart some small bugs ;) still) !

Fax

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.