Ethersnoop conflicting with LooknStop?

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by ellison64, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Ive noticed that when looknstop is running ,ethersnoop
    ( http://www.arechisoft.com/ )
    when started, responds with no network interfaces found.However when looknstop is exited it loads fine with the network interfaces found.Is there a way round this or just a conflict between ethersnoop and the packet sniffing module in looknstop?
    tia
    ellison

2. Climenole

Climenole Look 'n' Stop Expert

Hi ellison64 :)

Are you sure you choose the right adapter in this Sniffer ?

I'm using Packetyzer and I have to choose it unless the adapter is defined by default...

http://networkchemistry.com/products/packetyzer.php

If your sniffer won't work with LNS try the other one ... (free, open source, based on Ethereal)

Hope this help.

:)

3. ellison64

Hello..Climenole
    The sniffer fails to show any adaptors with looknstop loaded.Its blank where my netgear adaptor and dial up adaptor should be showing.They do show however when looknstop is exited so i guess there is some sort of clash.Would you know offhand whether paketyzer is compatible with w98se before i download?.I dont see much info regarding system requirements at the site
    tia
    ellison

4. Climenole

Climenole Look 'n' Stop Expert

Attached Files:

• yes.jpg
      yes.jpg
      File size:
      10.7 KB
      Views:
  5. ellison64

Thanks for reply...
    Im getting some runtime errors when trying to run it after installation ,so i guess that it isnt fully compatible with 98 anymore even though it says it is.No matter as i dont use a sniffer very often anyway.Im sure look n stops sniffer used to show actual packet dialog years ago.Now it seems to just show numbers ,unless ive set something incorrectly.
    ellison

6. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

If you are using Win98, the problem could be related to protocol configuration in the advanced options.
    After ethersnoop has found no interface, open the protocol configuration in Look 'n' Stop and check if there is no protocol to be allowed.

Under Win98, the way to filter at NDIS level is very limited, and it is not surprising that one application installed there prevents another one to install.

What does happen if you start Look 'n' Stop after ethersnoop ? Do both work in that case ?

Frederic

7. ellison64

Hello...
    I had uninstalled ethersnoop because of the conflict.However i reinstalled to try your suggestions.I shut down looknstop and reinstalled ethersnoop.It found the adapters and worked ok.I then started looknstop expecting a crash or something.However both seemed to work ok.I then exited ethersnoop and restarted it (looknstop was still running).I expected ethersnoop not to be able to find the adapters again,however it loaded and found them and worked correctly.I then checked the protocols that you mentioned and noticed that a new one was in there called "packet".The only one i remember being in there before was "MSTCP" and im sure the packet one is an addition.I rebooted my OS and both now seem to be working together ok,and the packet protocol still shows.Heres a pic of whats showing.......I guess all is now ok and i dont have to alter anything?
    Thanks in advance
    ellison

Attached Files:

8. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Yes, everything seems to be ok now.

Frederic

9. ellison64

Thank you...
    all is working fine now ;)
    ellison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.