Ethernet/USB

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by resa05, Apr 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. resa05

resa05 Registered Member

i have a cable modem.....as far as how im connected to the internet...ummm i guess my answer would be usb?...i hope that answered your question Fan J...:)

You mean you have an ethernet card that is connected to your PC via the USB port? .........i don't know :(....i dont know but i think...i'm useing a usb cord connected to usb port...) someone was telling me my pc isn't recognizing the ethernet card in my pc or something around those lines...if this clarifies my original question............(maybe i confussed myself and ya'll...i was talking about the CORD that plugs into my modem and then into my pc...so i can even get on the web in the first place)...like i said maybe i just confuzzled :oops:

thanks

Last edited: Apr 16, 2005
  2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

You mean you have an ethernet card that is connected to your PC via the USB port? o_O

3. TrBot

TrBot Registered Member

I think he is asking the same question I asked, but noone replied of course.

If you are connecting the two computers via USB, did it come with a cd?

4. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Not quite sure whether this addresses the question (sorry if it does not !):

There are USB-to-Ethernet adapters available; I use one ;)
    It works this way:
    The Ethernet-cable (for example coming from your router) is connected to one side of the adapter; an USB-cable is connected between the other side of the adapter and your PC (its USB port).

Several companies sell such adapters.
    If I remember me well, for example NetGear and Adaptec.

5. resa05

resa05 Registered Member

I don't know anything about routers and i'm only useing 1 pc. I know someone who use to be a computer tech. for my current ISP provider. All I know is he tried to get the computer to search for the eternet cord and he said that its not finding it in the cpu or something...i have the cord that connects to the modem and the cpu, but thats not the problem. its saying ethernet not found or something..i bought this computer out of the paper and the guy was suppose to be building it as i was aquireing about the computer. maybe i'm jumping ahead of myself, he's out of town and still has to swing by and activate my windows. and then i'll ask him about the ethernet cord ( dont even know the difference between USB and Ethernet). i dont even think i can use a floppy disk on here because its not finding that either along with the cd drive...dont have one of those as well :( i only bought this pc for $200, so far its really everything i guess ( I ) need. i don't do much on here except surf the web and play some games. but if i need to obtain a cd drive or whatever and a ethernet cord and buy windows xp then its not really a bad deal do ya'll think?
    Thanks for replies.........p.s. so in order for ethernet to work i have to have a specific adapter?.........i have a usb cord into a usb port....i think i said that right lol :)
    Sincerely,
    Resa

Last edited: Apr 15, 2005
  6. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hey resa05

I think you in reference to USB Ethernet Adapter?

Attached Files:

7. TrBot

TrBot Registered Member

Mine is a simple USB cabe with USB on both ends, and a funny round thing halfway along the cable.

OK let me ask a simpler question. Just say we are using a network card on bot h computers. Now, "My Network" picks up the other pc. Which is normal. But HOW do I go on the net on the OITHER pc? Even AFTER running that Network Wizard.

8. GForce

GForce Guest

TrBot,

Have you forgotten? It's an informative thread where you may be able to garner some ideas.

GF

9. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Resa,

The situation is not completely clear to me, sorry.

How are you at the moment connected to the internet?
    You are posting, so you must have access to the internet ;)
    You have a modem; is that right?
    What kind of modem?
    Are you using a dial-up connection, or DSL, or Cable?
    I guess that is the first thing we need to know; so can you tell what modem you are using?

10. TrBot

TrBot Registered Member

GF I read your thing from the experts exchange but it didn't tell me anything to set it up. But I still appreciate it.

11. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

You would need a second Ethernet card to plug in to your modem, so one computer needs 2 cards, or a modem that plugs in via USB. Even simpler than this is to purchase a 4 port Modem/Router/Firewall combo or if you already have a ADSL modem then a 4 port Router/Firewall and simply plug each computer in to this. Safely using Internet Connection Sharing can be a lot of work to get going, especially if you want to share files between the PC’s and have a Firewall with Visual Outbound Alerts, such as ZoneAlarm.

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

12. resa05

resa05 Registered Member

blackspear, i think i'm out of my own league...i'm gonna leave all that technical stuff to you guys lol....i am not trying to connect to another computer or whatever it was you said lol...anyways...i was just trying to get a better understanding of the ethernet/usb but i'm not succeeding at it...i should probably look up on it and see what they are and stuff first...before i jump the gun lol thank ya'll :)

13. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi all,

Only a personal note:

I am getting a little bit confused in this thread ;)

We have a question from Resa.
    And we have a question from TrBot.

14. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Resa,

May I ask you a favour ;)
    Please don't edit your first posting but instead reply; it makes things a little bit easier :)

Can you tell the name etc. of your modem?

I'm sure I need help here of hardware experts ;)

15. resa05

resa05 Registered Member

well i have my phone and internet through my cable provider and my phone runs to the modem as well, in case no one recognizes the modem name.......the modem name onn the box says:touchstone telephony modem and it says Arris...i hope that was helpful :)

16. TrBot

TrBot Registered Member

Both fit into the same topic genre.

17. resa05

resa05 Registered Member

18. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I dont get it o_O

19. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

It wasn't posted by me and Resao5 didn't get the quoting right ;) :D

20. resa05

resa05 Registered Member

no i dont think i got the quoteing completely right :p

hmmm did it work lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.