Ethernet connection slow, wireless is fine. Whats the deal?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by chrisdab, Jan 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrisdab

chrisdab Registered Member

Hi, I am using the Actiontec MI-424WR or MI424WR router that I am provided by verizon. My service provides 15 Mbps down 2 Mbps up. When I first got the service earlier this month tests done at speakeasy showed 15/1.7 which was normal. The past week or so, my connection has deteriorated to being now about 300-700k/1.7. I still get full upload speed, but I don't get anywhere near the download speed I should be getting. My mother's computer which is on a wireless connection gets 10 mbps which is good for wireless. I have also put a wireless card in my laptop which gets 10 mbps also. I still can figure out though why a wired connection would have issues. I tried searching all the help forums, but I cant find an answer. I am not sure whether its my laptop's ethernet port or the router's ethernet, I have checked all 4 ports on the router.

thanks
    chris

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

What is the router support like? That would be a good place to start. They should be able to talk you through it step by step configuration. You may need a full factory reset as automatic configurations can sometimes go wrong and they should be able to set you up checking everything.
    Also there could be some protocol, program, other hardware, capping you havent mentioned here and if the support is good they should get to the root of the problem.

Have you tried pulling the power to the router, then plugging back in, this will reset the router, the router is another computer, and power fluctuations can affect them.
    Could be something continously transmitting data to the internet, legit or not.
    Could be that the cable is faulty or too short. A couple of ways to check would be to use it on another computer and check the results or, unplug from the computer and plug into another router port eg 1&2 to see if you have a continuous lights.

The support would be the first port of call though.

3. chrisdab

chrisdab Registered Member

I figured out the problem. I was using protowall which normally is a good service, but they do install a protowall service on your local network connection. The troubles cleared since I uninstalled it. Peerguardian is more usefull anyways.

thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.