ESSv4 slow performance

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by get_it, Nov 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. get_it

get_it Registered Member

Is anyone experiencing computer performance issues when using utorrent on a system with ESSv4 installed?

When using utorrent and downloading a torrent or two while seeding two or more at the same time, i notice a huge slow down in computer performance, particularly system response i.e. opening applications, minimizing/maximizing windows .etc (Network speed is unaffected)

I've changed the settings in Protocol Filtering to "Applications marked as internet browsers and email clients" and ticked only my browser in Web access protection-->HTTP, HTTPS-->Web browsers, but the problem still persists.

However if i disable the Web access protection completely i do not experience a slow down in performance. This only happens when using utorrent. If im running StrongDC or Limewire and downloading/uploading multiple files at the same time, performance is unaffected.

I have an old machine which consists of an AMD Athlon 3000+ CPU, 1Gb DDR RAM, 200Gb sata HDD, winxp pro sp3 with all updates.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards

2. RyanH

RyanH Eset Staff Account

This performance issue can be caused remnants of a previous antivirus program. So make sure that all has been removed by running a removal tool provided by the software manufacturer if applicable.

Which version of the ESET software are you running?

An alternative would be to exclude the uTorrent program from the scanner.

*Important: Do not exclude the download directory for uTorrent. If the download directory is in the program's folder, I suggest putting it in a different location/folder.

3. get_it

get_it Registered Member

Thank you for the suggestion. I went ahead and added the uTorrent.exe in the Program Files folder and also the uTorrent folder in \User\Application Data, to the "exclusions" list.

It made a significant improvement, a little stutter here and there, but my system is much more responsive.

Regards.

4. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Do i need to restart uTorrent after adding uTorrent to the exclusion list of the real time scanner? My pc slows down while uTorrent is running.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2009
  5. Temp Member

Temp Member Registered Member

What mode is the FW in ?

If rules have you added some and Ports etc ?

Does the Torrent Client become connectible or its outgoing blocked so running really slow (Hard to explain as I do not use Java Bases Client).

On BitTornado the light will not be Green but Yellow if Firewalled (or if no connection to peers).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.