ESS5, Windows 7 network & trusted zones

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by BGI_YYZ, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BGI_YYZ

BGI_YYZ Registered Member

I'm having a heck of time getting my home network going and it's for sure because of my firewall.

Computer 1: Win7 32bit Home Premium - ESS5 is installed here
    Computer 2: Win7 64bit Professional - using MS Security essentials here

I have shared the C: drive of Computer 1 to allow Everyone access. Theoretically anyway since currently it only works if I have my ESS5 Firewall off.

I have found in the trusted zone (in ESS5, Setup -> Advanced Personal firewall setup -> Network -> Personal firewall -> Rules and Zones -> Zone and Rule editor -> Setup) that you can added a particular IP address as to be Trusted and therefore ignored by the firewall. However, since everytime Computer 2 gets restarted, I don't know what IP address it will be assigned. Is there a way to get an entire range trusted so that anything that gets plugged into my network is considered trusted? I have PS3 elsewhere in the house and it also is getting blocked when trying to access Computer 1.

Thanks for any help - please be as detailed as possible in describing steps to fix, or let me know if more info is required from me (log files, etc).

Thanks!

2. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hello BGI_YYZ

To get some information about the Pc's Ip address, you can in command prompt write this, IPconfig , then press enter and commandopromt will displays all current TCP/IP network configuration values.

Hope it will help :)

Cheers, Janus

Attached Files:

3. BGI_YYZ

Thanks for the info Janus, but my issue with that solution is that the next time Computer 2 is rebooted, it will probably have a different IP address and therefor be blocked by the firewall again. Ideally, I'd like anything staring with 192.168.xxx.xxx to be granted access so no matter what last number gets assigned, it will be recognized as being in the Trusted Zone.

Thanks!

Brian

4. Janus

Janus Registered Member

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Then add the subnet 192.168.0.0/255.255.0.0 to the TZ.

6. BGI_YYZ

Thanks for all the help, but I'm still having issues.

As far as I can tell, I have added the subnet to the TZ as per Marcos.

and yet I get ESS blocking things from something that should be in the Trusted Zone.

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

.Apparently a machine or device with the IP address 192.168.1.4 has generated a port scan attack. Is it the other computer in LAN?

8. BGI_YYZ

Yes, 192.168.1.4 is "Computer 2". At least it is until next time I reboot and it may or may not get assigned a different IP.

I have run an AV scan with MS Security Essentials and also the online on demand versions of Eset and Trend. All came up clean.

Both iTunes and a program I have for my Synology NAS periodically scan the network. I think ESS5 is mistaking that for something sinister. What I don't get is that I believe I'm indicated that anything coming from 192.168.0.0 is to be trusted. I can't figure this out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.