ess5 stuck scanning perfectdisk 12 file??

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by zfactor, Oct 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

its scanning pd_local.sdf CONSTANTLY any ideas why? if i turn off opti write and auto optimize the problem goes away i did not have this issue with norton or avast.. thoughts?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

My initial thought is that Raxco PerfectDisk 12 is constantly writing to the file, so ESET Smart Security v5 scans it on each update. Have you tried excluding the file to see if that makes any difference?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. zfactor

yes if i exclude it it stops scanning. its being caused by the "opti write" or what they call it the automatic defragger that runs in the backround. it continuously defrags in the backround. if i turn that feature off it stops scanning it also.

i sent you a pm with a question regarding reinstall due to my imaging program's backups i made failing. please let me know if i will be okay i explained in the pm. thank you

4. zfactor

i have since uninstalled pd12 and just today reinstalled it. which files is it recc to exclude besides the one mentioned if any? or should i exclude the whole program / folder etc..or is just the one file enough to work well together since i have read in a few places of people having to exclude perfectdisk with eset ess. thanks

5. stackz

stackz Registered Member

on Windows 7x64.

Ive no idea whether PD12 has the same problem, but with PD11, if you want to do a boot time defrag of your system drive, then you need to disable Eset's HIPS. Otherwise the PC will just freeze until you do a hard reboot.
    Just a heads up for if you experience the same issue :)

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Is it possible to download the file pd_local.sdf from somewhere so that I can check its format? Based on the extension I don't think it should be scanned by ESET but can't tell for sure until I check it out.

7. zfactor

i can send it to you directly in a .rar or zip file marcos. i can 100% assure you its being scanned. and ess always goes back to this one file. what i mean is i open the stats in the gui and watch what is being scanned. it will be stuck on this file pd_local.sdf ill open anything or scan a file etc i can visually watch in the stats it scans the file or files then immediately jumps right back to the pd_local file and sits there this is able to be done over and over it always goes right back to that file and the cpu usage is up some if i exclude it everything is normal and ess will drop to 0-1% cpu and of course it doesnt show being scanned anymore either. im not the only one on other forums many people have to exclude perfectdisk with eset for some reason i have never had this issue with any other av so far (and i test all of them pretty much out there and have checked now for this specific file now when i do try them out). i know i can exclude it but i hate having to do that on a clients system mainly because if somehow the exclusion gets removed or they attempt to uninstall / reinstall it may not be there any more then they will have this issue again this is such a common widely used program (perfectdisk) it should work properly with it imo. if it was a little known or hardly used program i would understand that...

8. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Please upload it somewhere and PM me the download link, I'll check it out.

9. zfactor

sent you the link via pm. let me know what you find out thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.