ESS v3.0 RC1 slow at boot

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by famusc, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. famusc

famusc Registered Member

Hi, your product is fantastic but I've got a little problem: when I start Windows Vista x64, ESS splash screen takes a lot of time to disappear and in this time my pc shows no activity (cpu is low and disks are quiet). In addition, the connections icon besides volume control in Taskbar has a red x, like no connection available. When system loading goes on and splash screen disappears, the connection icon changes to "connected" and everything works fine.
    I think it's a problem related to firewall driver startup: it seems it takes a long time to start and everything waits for it to complete initialization.

Hope for a solution,
    thank you

2. JASTECH

JASTECH Registered Member

I have it installed on my rig and so far no problems. Didn't slow down anything. What is your hardware configuration? After ESS is finished what king of load do you see? Memory and CPU utilization.

3. famusc

famusc Registered Member

I have a qx6700 running at 3 GHz with 1333 MHz fsb. I have also 4 gb of ram 1066 MHz and 2 TB of disk space, plus a 8800GTX. Cpu utilization is less than 10 % (very low) and memory is generally about 1500 MB over 4096. So there's no over utilization.
    It seems like a pause during startup.

4. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I also have RC1 and my splash is slow to store down but my pc shows activity upon boot. try uncheck splash screen at start up see if changes any. If not you may want to remove and replace fresh download.If you Remove from uninstall there still some files and folders left behind remove them all for a clean install.-------win xp-sp2 1.4 gig 512 ram up and running under 10 seconds thanks to tweaks and shutdown all the background crap that doest not need to run at boot up makes a big difference

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  5. JASTECH

Hmm, I don't even see a ESS splash screen. Your system should be faster then mine :-( I will oc to beat you , lol Like was mentioned on the post above this one, disable those screens and it should speed it up or maybe use a USB boot stick to help. But most of the time I leave my rigs running. Let us know.

6. famusc

famusc Registered Member

I think I have solved my problem: I noticed that Windows Security Center sometimes reported firewall as off and in that situation boot and startup were regular. So I disabled firewall monitoring in Security Center and now everything seems to work ok. I'd like someone else could test this workaround.

7. JASTECH

Oh yes, you are correct! I forgot I went through a few times trying to shut off that stupid MS firewall and the Windows Defender, maybe make sure you have it off too? I think mine came back on a couple times till I shut it off the correct way. Thanks, JAS

8. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

how did you disable firewall monitoring in the security center i am wondering if that is my problem as well thanks

9. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

never mind figured it out..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.