ESS takes too much CPU?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Nunes, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nunes

Nunes Registered Member

This issue happened with ESS service/driver (beta versions) and now happened again:

Occasionaly it takes nearly 100% of the CPU for several minutes slowing down the system and even freezing it.

Anyone more knowleagable of the this have an explanation?

2. SteveBlanchard

SteveBlanchard Registered Member

Look at the processes being run. To me it sounds like you still have an AVS on your PC.

3. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

tried both versions and I Noticed slow Downs with the ESS but no that slow or freezing. now I am using Just Eset AV New release with Kerio Firewall and they run perfect together No slow downs or high cpu.I did see a posting before with the same issue something in regards to ekrn I believe.Being Its still new maybe its a bug yet that will get sorted out. may be some in the forum will have better answers For you or contact eset support.regards

4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i didnt really see any other slowdowns then at bootup.. but i do see the high cpu usage at times its never hit 100% though

5. hbobeck

hbobeck Registered Member

Installed ESS 3.0.551.0 today (Win Vista Business 32 bits).

CPU consumption is hardly noticeable...

Harry

6. Nunes

Nunes Registered Member

Nope; I'm carefull about that. I have no AV other then NOD (in ESS).

The problem is that the EKRN.EXE (Eset Service) takes CPU cicles for too long. Sometimes it takes several minutes (2-3) and usually happens after the update.

Some advise about configuration tips could be helpful.

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Couldn't it be that it happens when you copy or move an exe file?

8. Nunes

Nunes Registered Member

It can be also a reason.

I'm actually using a utility that monitors the cpu usage and automatically lowers the priority of those processes that take too much cpu.

It seems to help.

Until ESET fixes this or at least we can configure ESS so that we can manage this issue I'll use this workaround.

9. Marcos

If this is the case, try disabling advanced heuristics, runtime packers and sfx archives in the rea-time protection setup to see if it makes a difference.

10. Nunes

Nunes Registered Member

At least the runtime packers and sfx archives are now disabled. The advanced heuristics I will let it as it is and see.

11. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I hate when the answer is turn off features of a product &those features are why you bought it. Would it not be in ESET's best interest to fix it?, I have slow boot & it spikes , 2.7 never did this, this seems like an issue that needs to be addressed not advise on turned off features,

12. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

I believe the point for doing this is to determine wich features causes the problem... When ESET know for sure if it is actually one of there feature and wich one that causing troubles than, I am sure, ESET will work in resolving the issue!

13. larryb52

but isn't this something that should be fixed in beta, cpu usage & start ups?, I can see some minor stuff but you shouldn't be paying to test further...just my 2 cents...

14. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

I totally agree with you that some bugs that have been reported should have been fix before they get out of beta... In fact, I am very surprise and deceive to see all the bugs, some more important than others, that are reported in this forums :doubt: I can only wish that they will be resolved soon by ESET ;)

15. larryb52

it would be nice if someone would say a fix is in the works...I removed it for now...

16. Marcos

You have an option to choose between fast speed and a time consuming analysis. It is not possible to accomplish a thorough analysis of complexly packed runtime archives without affecting the scanning speed. A theoretical solution would be either removing advanced heuristics completely from the program or adjusting it the way that it would catch only a very small portion of new malware, neither is acceptable.

17. larryb52

I was referring to start up & cpu usage there, sorry for the misunderstanding...

18. Marcos

Could you measure the difference in startup time with ESS installed and without it? Or ESS doesn't affect the startup time at all, but only the cpu usage?

19. Alf_

Alf_ Registered Member

Just curious, what utility are you talking about? Could you provide a link to a website?

20. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Lets keep In mind that most program software my Have bugs unforeseen that appear at a latter date this does not mean every one will experience a problem. I was a beta tester for the duration with No problems and now with the final release with out any issues.I also Did not use the suite I used Av only.It seems the issues some are haven are with the suite something to consider.

21. larryb52

it takes an extra 2 minutes with ESS loaded to start as without, it's cpu usage is at 50%, nod 2.7 added no additional time. I realize it's a suite instead of just the AV but if start up was sped up just a little it would be more tolerable. Otherwise the suite runs seemlessly but the startup wait is hard at times...

22. Nunes

Nunes Registered Member

You have Process Tamer freeware at DonationCoder and DtaskManager also freeware.

The problem is with the real time protection so it is with the antivirus

Today after booting and the usual signatures update I had the ESET service taking between 70% and 95% of CPU for about 11 minutes.

I disabled all the Advanced heuristics. Let's see what's happen. If the ESET service "calms down".

23. Nunes

Nunes Registered Member

My startup is as before, no special delays. The problem is when the EKRN begans taking the CPU time.

24. stratoc

stratoc Guest

this is the reason i went back to 2.7. when i posted about it, i had replies that it had been reported and fixed. and was unfixed in the last update. i think the program is a little buggy for final release, ok it works fine for some but quite unusable for many.

25. Nunes

Nunes Registered Member

The disabling of the Advanced Heuristics seems to have good results. At least until now I didn't have any further problem with the CPU.

I also don't know if ESET tries to resolve these issues by means of updates.

But unfortunately the problems didn't end here. Today I had some system freezes with complete lost of control while browsing the net.

I decided to exclude the browsers from content filtering an see what happens.

I think ESET or the mods that work here with ESET should give advise in the configuration of the ESS and the pros and cons of each option. They know better the product that we do.

I have the feeling that I work in the dark while configuring the suite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.