ESS OR EAV....

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by pac73, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pac73

pac73 Registered Member

Im going to buy one of these but which one?

2. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

simple answer
    if you want firewall and antispam then choose ESS
    if you donot want firewall and antispam or install other firewall like comodo then choose EAV
    Both Are Using Same Engine

3. pac73

pac73 Registered Member

I like to use all in one security.So ill give ESS a try.

Nothing compares to ESET,S security software;)

4. NodboN

NodboN Registered Member

That's really not indisputable - ESS has a long way to go.

As for EAV v/s ESS, it boils down to personal preferences - generally speaking, Noobs would jump for ESS while Advanced Users would like to opt for EAV combined with standlone firewall, anti-spyware & anti-SPAM. However, V3 seems to have forced many to travel the ESS route.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  5. Saint Satin Stain

Saint Satin Stain Registered Member

Huntsville, AL and Greenwich Village, NYC
    Waal, the Naturally Ornery Old Bull Shooter installed ESS and well pleased I did.
    One of the criticisms I've read online: There was a leaktest of the firewall, with other modules disabled, and it flunked. Eset told the testers that it worked as a unit. I downloaded or tried to download the leaktests; some ESS stopped in the download (Web access protection module.), the others when I moved them, tried to open the zip they were in, or tried to run (Antivirus and antispyware's Real-time file system protection). It is a spurious test of ESS to make the rule that the other modules must be off and only the firewall on. Eset says that Eset Smart Security is not really a suite; it is too well integrated, one really.
    Here is a list of the modules in ESS. Which is better to stomp on which malware?

Antivirus and antispyware protection
    Real-time file system protection
    Email protection
    Web access protection
    Personal firewall
    Newwork traffic filtering
    Antispam module
    Antispam module

I figure ifn it can't get in then it can't get out. A little analysis please instead of playing nomenclature and taxonomy of insults, even of the genera.

Hot damn, you talk purdee, No Obvious Oafish Boobs Say.

Download the manual before you try it or buy it. Ask some folk who have it.

Eset manuals.

6. Alec

Alec Registered Member

I just wanted to add that I originally bought ESS and, after a couple of weeks of use, decided that I just wanted to go with EAV. I emailed ESET Customer Care, or actually opened a case online as I recall, and asked them if my ESS license would allow me to download, install, and use EAV instead (both as a technical matter and a legal one). They replied as follows:

So, if you have any indecision at all... and don't mind paying just a little more... buy ESS. If you decide you don't like it all that well, you can always roll back to EAV like I did.

7. Donny

Donny Registered Member

:eek: Boobs :eek: (perhaps you didn't post in English)

8. eidolon

eidolon Registered Member

The question is, if viruses that connect to the internet are stopped by the antivirus, then why do we need ESET's firewall? Going by ESET's own argument, it sounds to me like NOD32 3.0 and a router or Windows Firewall would be enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.