ESS+OpenVPN problem

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by cawook, Oct 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cawook

cawook Registered Member

Hi there, I have weird problem with Smart Security firewall. It's took me many hours to find where the real problem is, because it happens very rarely. Problem is OpenVPN (2.0.9) running with installed ESS. Normally, if I have firewall in interactive mode, it ask for every unknown connection, but sometimes with OpenVPN running, it don't show allow/deny dialog and process hangs... only solution is restart, because proccess is unkillable as it is waiting for firewall's dialog action which never happen. Few months ago, I don't know why, I had this problem and few hanged process at system, but after one hour or so ESS show every dialog at once, like some mutex has been unlocked and hanged applications were allowed to die finally. Is there any solution for this?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

are you using the latest Eset version?

3. cawook

cawook Registered Member

Yes, I think so... I'm using version 4.2.64.12

4. cawook

cawook Registered Member

Nobody knows?

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

If you changed to mode to something other than interactive, does the same occur still?

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I reckon some issues with certain VPN client(s) when the solution was to install the drivers in reverse order (first ESS, then the VPN client or vice-versa). If that doesn't help, enable logging of blocked connections in the IDS setup, reproduce the problem and then check the firewall log to see if certain connections were blocked during the attempt to connect via VPN.

7. cawook

cawook Registered Member

I think this will help to solve the problem, but interactive mode is what I want... I'll try it anyway.

8. cawook

cawook Registered Member

I have reinstalled ESS and OpenVPN many times ago in different order. I can't reproduce the problem, it happens very rarely and it is not because of certain connections. It seems problem is caused by some race-condition between firewall service and user mode popups.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.