ESS Not Quarantining Files?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by vapor, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vapor

vapor Registered Member

I posted yesterday regarding an issue I had with ESS tagging my GoBack restore points as trojans: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1017418#post1017418

I'm posting for input to another issue related to ESS. When first installed I ran an In Depth scan and it found 3 pieces of malware. During my last scan it tagged 6 restore points in GoBack.

My questions are these:

1) Each time ESS find something it seems the scan is suspended until I input what I want done with the suspect file. Why doesn't ESS just quarantine them and let me know when it's done? I'm generally not home when the thing's scanning. The last scan took almost 4 hours because it stopped when it found something and was waiting for me...

2) Each time it finds a suspicious file and asks me what to do with it, but the only options are delete or ignore. Why isn't quarantine an option?

Anyone else experience this? I haven't changed any of the default settings in the program.....:D

2. Chappy

Chappy Registered Member

I agree, scans should NEVER wait for user input to continue the scan. There is no situation that would warrant such an action, the problem already exists and has existed before the scan was started, so waiting till after the scan is completed for user input on what to do with something isn't going to cause any system comprimise of any sort.

Too many people configure scans to run while they sleep also, so having the scan engine stop and wait for input is just not the way to do it. Like, I would hate to get up the next day, go look at my scan and find it only 18% complete because it's been sitting waiting for me to click some dang button....

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Ticking the Scan without clean chheckbox will do the trick. You'll deal with the threats after the scan completes. Actions cannot be taken automatically at the time being for safety reasons. Imagine ESS would triger an alert on a crucial system file and moved it to quarantine. In the worst scenario you might end up with reinstalling the OS.

4. vapor

vapor Registered Member

Where's the "scan without clean" checkbox. All I'm seeing is a slider for various levels of cleaning....

I understand this, but my point is that I expect the software to be more helpful here. The only options I've ever seen in an alert box are "delete" and "ignore". Where are options like "quarantine", "clean", repair"? The help file says ESS can identify system files, so if deleting a file is going to crash your OS what does ESS recommend in such cases?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.