ESS need a better firewall

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by 1nvad3r, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1nvad3r

1nvad3r Registered Member

2. The_1337

The_1337 Registered Member

It's not poor quality. They just have a different opinion on what a firewall should do. Please try to do some research before making such rash statements.

3. PatG

PatG Registered Member

Second what the 1337 said. Been using the fw for over a year and never have had a problem. In fact, when first installing ESS also ran another brand w/it. However the other one just couldn't remember what I told it to "allow". Think it would have been better to ask about eset firewall here on the forum from experienced people who have/are running it successfully instead of someone trying to push another brand selling poor performance of competition to sell theirs. Look before you leap....

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

ESS is an integrated suite of different modules so testing the firewall with other modules disabled will not bring desired results. Stand-alone firewalls cannot rely on the real-time/web protection like we have that prevent malicious files from entering the computer. Also you should take into account that it's easier for malware authors to circuvent the behavior blocking features in a firewall than the heuristic detection.

5. saffron

saffron Registered Member

There's always room for improvement, but anyone who believes matousec tests reflect conditions in the real world is seriously in need of a brain scan.

6. mr_yoda

mr_yoda Registered Member

I'm no expert or techie type but surely if the firewall passes tests such as the LeakTest and ShieldsUp then it is doing exactly what it's supposed to do.

I've used Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite in the past and nasties have infected my system with what is supposed to be one of the best firewalls around. No anti-virus/spyware/firewall package is 100% effective against everything (and the Eset firewall appears to remember what programs i've given permission to without continually asking).

Anyway, just thought I would add my opinion.

7. rwt325

rwt325 Registered Member

Marcos' point well taken. I have been following a few testing sites over the years, and do not remember seeing a rating of suites. In any case ratings between sites vary so much at any one time that it makes me believe that eithe testing in general is unreliable, or they are testing for different problems, hence we are comparing apples to pears.

Even within a single site ratings differ from time to time, and none ever are 100%.

Have used ESS since early Beta on two computers with no problems so far. In any case if your browsing and downloading are reckless no suite will protect you for very long.

8. luminoso

luminoso Registered Member

C'mon guys...
    I also payed for ESS and i feel like it could be improved A LOT.

Self-defense of eset products simply suck. I terminated my ess more than once simply killing the non-responding process using vista dialog.

It seems that eset keeps ignoring this facts.

However, ESET rocks on detecting threats and on exellent low system footprint.

Now does ESS worth it? Maybe not. If i don't see any improvments next time i'll only buy NOD32 and install Comodo firewall.

9. The_1337

The_1337 Registered Member

nod32kui or nod32krn? If it was just the gui there's no problems.

10. sumanvarma

sumanvarma Registered Member

:thumbd:
    Mr. The_1337, ESET has a bad firewall. I am using eset for a long time. I think you might not have used many applications with the firewall.
    :thumbd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.