ESS loses rules

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by jeffshead, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffshead

jeffshead Registered Member

ESS 5.2.9.1, Windows 7 x64

I've had this happen to me 3-4 times over the years...

Has anyone ever had ESS loose it's firewall rules for no apparent reason? Just get up one morning, encounter some application issues, reboot computer and get asked about letting apps access the network or web that you've already allowed and ticked the box to remember?

Maybe Eset or Microsoft updates are causing this?

When this happens, some apps that were previously given network or internet access hang or do not function properly with no indication of what's causing the problem. The symptoms make you think it's an issue with the app(s) since you get no prompt from Eset until after a system reboot. I have always used Eset's Interactive mode, by the way.

Once I figured out Eset was blocking everything, I looked at the rules and see that most all of the rules I've set over the past several months are gone? It looks like the only remaining rules are the defaults.

About the only settings that are not lost are the exclusions I've set. Even the IP's I've added to my trusted zone are missing.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Firewall rules are stored in epfwdata.bin and EpfwUser.dat files in the C:\ProgramData\ESET\ESET Smart Security folder. Rules cannot be read under the following circumstances:
    - the dat files are corrupted (e.g. if the system wasn't shut down properly)
    - the local system account doesn't have read/write permissions to the dat files

3. jeffshead

jeffshead Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I figured a file(s) got corrupted but I wish I knew how to determine what caused it.

I don't see how it can be a permission issue since Eset has been and is working fine since I re-added my rules.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.