ESS : is it worth ? easy ?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Fidelius, Sep 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fidelius

Fidelius Registered Member

Hello,

I currently run Nod32 EAV for windows xp sp3 and windows xp pro 64 bits (dual boot). ZoneAlarm pro runs on the 32 bits OS and Outpost 2009 pro (trial) on the 64 bits OS. All is fine but my licence ends on October 13. I hesitate between renewing my licence or go to ESS v4.

1) Can ESS replace my current firewall ?
    2) Is ESS firewall easy to use ?
    3) Is ESS firewall as good as ZA Pro or Outpost ?

Thank you for hints.

2. stratoc

stratoc Guest

try it. i have a lifetime license to outpost and am fairly confident it will never be installed again, technically they are better, usually in test envioments, eset smart is the leanest fastest protection i can find that's why i use it, i mean the whole package uses a lot less than a firewall only program?
    i didnt even use a firewall other than my router until a year ago and touch wood have never had a malware problem.
    so try it, IMHO it's ample protection, i only use v3 out of personal choice they are both very light.
    im not a fanboy but have tried many solutions and find smart to be the least intrusive and the only solution that doesnt interfere with my rather massive games collection.

3. rollers

rollers Registered Member

I have tried many set ups over the years, but always end up back with my ESS. Its simple, all in one place, light and reliable. Nothing is 100% but this is about as good as it gets for an overall package. Try it and see.

4. Fidelius

Well, I think I'm going to upgrade from Nod32 EAV to ESS "all in one". This will avoid to worry about compatibilities issues with ohters firewalls.
    Version 3 seems better than version according to this post https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=253310
    Thanks for advise rollers and stratoc.

5. Fidelius

Hmm... I have just read a test suite of firewalls at matousec and the firewall part of ESS 4 according to this site behaves very poorly. It passed only 4% and is not recommended.

6. rollers

rollers Registered Member

I think if you search through the forum this has been discussed before and is due to other factors such as others using hips etc. I have had no issues with the firewall and am quite happy with it. Also I am behind a Nat router firewall, so doubled up in security :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.