ESS Install Post-Norton

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by COSMO26, Jun 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

I'm sick to learn the new Win 7 computer I will likely buy tomorrow has 60-day Norton (Ver/pkg unknown).

Do the gurus on this Forum believe it really can be removed so as NOT to interfere with ESS V5 AND If Yes, do you run Control Panel Delete and THEN the Removal Tool - AND THEN What?.

For a prior ESS V4 issue my ESS Vendor once had me remove in Device Mgr SAVR, SAVRTPEL, Symevent, and symlcbrd - all Symantec drivers or "stuff" remaining AFTER the Removal Tool was run and After Best Buy allegedly Removed Norton (obviously didn't) at computer purchase time per my request. symlcbrd STILL refuses to stay Deleted and is there now in my XP machine.

Paranoid about Norton and any thoughts appreciated.

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I've not had any problems. I switch between ESET, Norton, and Kaspersky all of the time. Search your file system for any folders named Norton and delete. Search your registry for "Norton" and "Symantec" and delete. Make a registry backup and/or create a restore point first.

3. COSMO26

One computer "expert" I lucked into told me to do the following and that these Device Mgr Deletes would help the computer function better After Norton more than affecting ESET:

After Norton Control Panel Delete and the Removal Tool are run go to Device Mgr/View: Show Hidden Devices/ open Non-Plug N Play Drivers and look for /Google confirm Symantec stuff to Delete (should be Gray'd Out) ..

THEN go to System Properties Advanced Tab/Environment Variables at bottom/ System Variables/ Clk NEW and create the Variable name --- Devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices / make value 1 --- Re-Boot and go back to Non-Plug N Play Drivers.

Per him, this New System Variable Entry allows you to see Norton members Not visible otherwise. Delete IF found.

Addons, comments welcomed.

4. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

Yes, that works. Even the Norton Removal Tool leaves those inactive hidden devices and drivers behind.

5. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

You can always create an ESET SysInspector log and inspect it for drivers and services belonging to Symantec's Norton products before installing ESET Smart Security.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

6. COSMO26

Thanks Aryeh/everyone. I didn't know til now that SysInspector was a standalone dnload - I'll use it. The key, of course, is recognizing the driver names to correctly delete Vs. system-necessary ones that shouldn't be touched (i.e. SAVRT = Symantec anti-virus real-time (that's an easy one)..

I'm interested to learn what SysInspector SEES if the System Variables "Add-on" I described earlier is "Required" for a regular User to SEE All of Norton Remnants in Non-Plug N Play Drivers to Delete. I'll update this once I get the new box up and running.

Thanks again!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  7. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

ESET SysInspector has a search function, and after creating a log you could try searching it for the words "Symantec" and "Norton" to see what it finds on the system.

By the way, I just reinstalled the factory-preload of Microsoft Windows 7 Professional x64 on a Lenovo ThinkPad X120e. It had a pre-loaded trial version of Norton Anti Virus, and I had no problems installing ESET Smart Security on it after running Symantec's Norton Removal Tool. That's an older system, though, so the behavior of current OEM pre-loads of Norton Anti Virus may be slightly different.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

8. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Always remove AppRemover to uninstall Security programs it removes all traces making it clear to install other security solutions

9. Oswald2

Oswald2 Registered Member

This may or may not help (but may help others in the future).

I recently bought an HP laptop that came with Norton Internet Security. After repeatedly attempting to remove it using Norton's removal tool and ESET's uninstaller, the ESS 5 install kept telling me that Norton was still installed, even though the ESET uninstaller and Norton removal tool couldn't find any trace of it.

I ended up using HP's system restore, and one of the options was to do a clean install with just OS and drivers and no add-ons. It wasn't completely devoid of add-ons, but was pretty close. It definitely got rid of Norton.

I understand that antivirus software has to pretty tightly weave itself into the OS in order to be robust and successful, but it's a pain when their own tools cannot remove all traces of the program so you can start over.

10. COSMO26

Thanks, Oswald, but continuing on After that approach is probably above my pay grade.

I actually Added the System Variable Phrase in post #3 after running Uninstall and the N Removal Tool and ESS STILL Saw Norton. That post #3 "Phrase" DID REVEAL (2) Symantec drivers in Non Plug 'n Play Drvs that weren't shown JUST with Show Hidden Devices.

After Deleting the 2 Symantec Drivers I did a Regedit Find (found-deleted 3 Symantecs) and per another forum post ran the N Removal Tool again BUT in SAFE MODE. THEN ESS Installed without a Norton Pop-up.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

11. Oswald2

Oswald2 Registered Member

It was an automated process. You run the HP restore software, then on boot, you choose to restore to factory settings, then one of the options is a bare bones installation. You choose that. 45 minutes to an hour later, the computer is back at HP factory settings, but this time with no extras like Norton. It was simpler than going through the registry (which is above my pay grade ;)

Again, I realize it may not help you or anyone right now, but it may help others in the future reading this thread who have a computer that has a similar store option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.