ESS collect personal information

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by ASpace, Apr 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

With respect,

I did make post concerning this, I did make "underline" of what is, to me, a possiblity of any file on the PC being submitted to Eset. From my perspective of this, this could include ANY file that may be thought of as "illagal". Yes, it as been said that it is only any file affected, but this is covered with other wording.

One of my main concerns with the wording, is the fact that this as been seen by Eset as a need to be added, as from the EULA of version 2.7:-
    Capture31-08-2006-11.44.1813-04-2007-02.58.51.jpg
    I see no such mention of "files from the computer on which the software is installed".
    This change of EULA does, to me, indicate a change of policy on what info is taken, and I personally need more info on this "new policy"

If there is no change on policy, or the info collected, then why a need for change of EULA in this area.

2. cerBer

cerBer Registered Member

Exactly, but there is maybe more about that.

First - at least one Eset moderator has posted here that he is tracking down some malware writer. And, if such activity exists, it is a question if EULA allows or not to use collected information for such purposes. "Reviewing infiltration" could also mean - who wrote or sent the infiltrating code.
    It is important, because where is such "tracking", there are mistakes too. If it happens in police activity, you can at least hope that law protects you; in this case it will most likely be EULA alone.

Second - imagine some not very democratic country where government wants to track down dissidents. Now, all they would have to do is infect dissident website and request collected personal information from Eset. It would not be possible if EULA stated that personally identifiable information will not be collected, or will not be stored. Even Microsoft does that, if I remember correctly. Maybe everybody would trust Eset more than MS, but that at least does not give any reason to request personal information from them.

Is it stated somewhere that, for example, IP address cannot be collected (information about computer)?

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

As have been noted earlier this part of EULA is related to the ThreatSense.Net reporting system and this system in ESS is sending exactly the same information as in NOD32 2.7. The exact EULA wording will be further evaluated by our legal department to prevent ambiguity.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

This was all new need ! Thanks ! :D

5. extratime

extratime Registered Member

Yep that's what is needed Marcos. Thanks!

6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I would then presume that the EULA in 2.7 also requires a revision/update to fact of possible file upload.

7. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Well, since the issue has been commented upon quite well and there are hints that the wording will be reviewed, I guess there is not much to worry about. Maybe version 2.5 and 2.7 will also require some changes in the EULA. :)

As for those comparing Microsoft's actions with those of Eset, I will say that there are similarities between the two, but there are also differences. No further comment. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.