ESS blocks internet connection

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by nonoise, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nonoise

nonoise Registered Member

Hey there,
    I persuaded a friend to install Smart Security, everything was ok, but after an hour or so after running, firefox wouldn't open pages, msn wouldn't connect. I switched his firewall mode to Interactive, allowed applications to connect but without success. I reinstalled but it didn't help, i need to uninstall ESS in order to broswe, chat etc.
    What should i do next? Would Sys Inspector log help to figure out the reasons?

Thanks.

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

An ESET SysInspector log might be revealing.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. info

info Registered Member

Does your friend use Vista? I have a friend on The Tech Support Guy Forums who had the same problem with Smart Security and Vista. Unfortunately, he could not pinpoint how he solved the problem, but he did eventually solve it. I have a similar problem with Firefox unable to connect to the web after several hours using avast! and Vista Home Premium (as do many others) with the Web Shield on-access scanner enabled. Disabling it often resolves the problem (Firefox can connect again) but FF sometimes sticks in Task Manager and the process cannot be ended. Not running avast!'s Web Shield definitely solves this issue and the av can be used, although in a crippled manner. There is an ongoing thread on this subject in the avast! forums where it has yet to be resolved. At any rate this is not good news for Vista users and I am disappointed to see this thread as it confirms to me that I will probably encounter the same problem if I use ESS which I have been seriously considering.

Perhaps you might disable the on-access scanner (if this is possible) to try to at least isolate the problem. Please let me know if you find the solution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.