ESS blocking workgroup

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by nickster_uk, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickster_uk

nickster_uk Registered Member

Hi..

i'm aware there is another post regarding workgroup issues but I didn't wanna hijack it so though i'd start my own thread.

Anyway, i'm running XP Pro SP2 and all available updates with ESS v3.0.642.0, I have enabled all the file sharing options in ESS but i'm unable to view my own PC in the workgroup. I don't have a traditional network set up but I do use upnp to stream audio/video between my phone and PC and vice versa as well as using shared files and folders betwen my phone and PC.

The weird thing is, things only work as normal when Windows Firewall is running otherwise I get an error that 'workgroup' cannot be found blah blah, the list of servers is unavailable. Ideally, I don't want to have two firewalls running at the same time but if ESS has settings to allow file sharing and network access and it doesn't work, there must be something seriously wrong with the core of the program if that only happens when Windows Firewall is running.

I've spent hours troubleshooting this issue, but no matter what ports I allow through ESS, I can only see my own computer and browse my shared folders and files when Windows Firewall is running.

I also run a dual boot environment with Vista and i'm able to view my PC and network there without Vista's built in firewall running so it seem this issue is just happening with XP.

Anyway, any advice or suggestions would be very cool.

2. shansmi

shansmi Registered Member

how is your firewall setup? interactive mode or auto? from my understanding, auto is like Windows Firewall i.e. it only deals with inbound in XP. If in interactive mode it blocks traffic in both directions. My machines are running Vista and so far in interactive mode the firewall has been very good at prompting me when traffic is blocked.

A couple of things to try is putting the fw in interactive mode and deleting all the custom rules letting the system re-learn everything or a celan install....have you ever had another firewall installed besides ESS or WFW?

At one time, I tried ESS after getting upset with AVG trying to get my XBOX working...I could not get ESS to allow the traffic then either but now things are working great.

I also saw another post on GigE connections being set to 100bT full duplex...what is the speed and duplex of your connection? I do know that some older cards do not function well with newer equipment if in Auto mode which is solved but manualy setting the speed and duplex - still does not explain the 2 firewall thing though.....i would try unchecking the binding boxes in Windows Frirewall with it on and see if that makes a difference. Those can be found on the advanced tab of the windows firewall settings....

3. nickster_uk

nickster_uk Registered Member

Thanks for the reply shansmi.

ESS is set to interactive mode. I have no issues with general use of the firewall as it prompts me for access for everything except for applications which I have set to block always. I have tried removing all my custom rules but when Windows Firewall is disabled, I still do not see my PC in the workgroup...even with the firewall set to allow all, it refuses to see my own machine. Unless I enable Windows Firewall. It just seems odd that Windows Firewall is capable of opening the required ports for home networking without a fuss but ESS is not able to do this.

I use a wireless connection so there is no duplex settings in my wireless network adapter.

The binding boxes are already unchecked which just makes things weirder and if I set the firewall to off but service still running things continue to work, but if I turn off the firewall and the Windows Firewall service, I go back to not being able to see my PC again.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.