ESS Beta2 Error on Update-0x3fff

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by KaneComputing, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stueycaster

stueycaster Registered Member

After it did an automatic update I'm back to the Base File Missing: Error. Now the logo in my system tray is orange.

2. BarneyBadass

BarneyBadass Registered Member

I've noticed that if the system crashes and comes back up ... ESS is frequently "red / orange" for some period of time.. sometimes a long time sometimes not so long..

can anyone explain this behavior?

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Have you tried reinstalling ESS ? Clean install , clean update ?

4. Tantawi

Tantawi Registered Member

Same here, AntiVirus Beta 2, Vista x64, Base file missing error, the provided fix didn't work.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Please try deleting the content of the "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Eset\Eset Smart Security\Updfiles" folder and updating ESS manually. Should the problem persist, carry on by following the instructions provided here:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1072174&postcount=15. Also enclose detailed information about your OS, e.g. Windows XP SP2 32-bit

6. stueycaster

stueycaster Registered Member

It seems to be fixed. :D :thumb: I didn't realize that there was an ESET folder in Documents and Settings/All Users/~ besides the one in ~/my account. After uninstalling ESS I didn't delete the folder in All Users. I guess that's why I couldn't fix it. After deleting both folders, reinstalling and applying the Hot Fix it is working right. Thanks Guys for helping me out. You guys who help people out in forums are awesome. :thumb:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  7. Tantawi

Tantawi Registered Member

Thank you but the problem is that I can't access "C:\Document and Settings". it gave me access denied error!

I'm an administrator on Windows Vista x64 with UAC disabled and auto elevation enabled.

UPDATE: Fixed it, the folder is located here instead: "C:\ProgramData\Eset\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\Updfiles", uninstalling, deleting, reinstalling, applying the fix, rebooting, have fixed the problem finally :)

8. deimos

deimos Registered Member

Hm, no fix for me. XP SP2 32bit. Folder cannot be deleted as it is locked by ESS...

9. deimos

deimos Registered Member

Unistalled, removed update folder, installed again, update ok :thumb:

10. dansx6

dansx6 Registered Member

I have tried everything suggested here and still no luck. It looks like it is back to the stable version for now. Thanks for the suggestions.

11. sugfry

sugfry Registered Member

I have tried a clean install & have now gone from a (0x3fff) error to a base file error now. I tried all the fixes mentioned above but still no luck. I hope this is resolved soon cause I like the program......

After the clean install my virus database is 2478 this is worrying cause before I had my first error my VD was 2505 so now I don't have the same protection......

12. Sk_illed

Sk_illed Registered Member

Mid post I downloaded the hotfix, and now it works! (vista64 ess)

I had previously gotten the 3ff error after:

uninstalled
    deleting:
    C:\Users\me\AppData\Roaming\Eset
    C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Eset
    C:\ProgramData\Eset
    C:\Program Files\Eset (no eset folder in Prog Files x86)
    Deleted all regkeys in hkcu and hklm
    reboot / reinstall

13. harrievaan

harrievaan Registered Member

Had the same problem of not updating. Followed Marcos tip of removing the contents of the update folder. The manual update seemed to work and it updated some files. But still the "virus signature database could not be updated" is still there (0x3fff).

I run XP sp2 32 bit

14. richardschwarz_oz

richardschwarz_oz Registered Member

I also followed Marcos' idea of deleting the c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\eset\updfiles directory and then doing a manual update. It didn't work - after any of the 6 or so attempts (I really like making sure that I've done something right before commenting).

So, I re-downloaded the beta, uninstalled ESET, deleted every ESET folder I could find (mainly just c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\eset, restarted, re-installed and presto! It's working at the moment... We'll see what happens in the coming days. :D

15. Hammy

Hammy Registered Member

I too am having this error I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling also tried the tip of Marcos the removal of the contents of the update folder but still getting the "0x3fff" error.

Hammy

16. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

had it too, I deleted the allusers\updatefiles folder (its contents) and no change, I restarted and it did the update to 2515 - now all seems fine

Ruben

@Marcos
    Thanks for helping so much - do I need to copy the files from the allusers\update folder back there??

17. sugfry

sugfry Registered Member

I'm using vista ultimate 32bit & can't find the program data folder i have searched my c: but can't seem to locate it anywhere. Has anybody got any ideas on this oneo_O??

18. FMKaiba

FMKaiba Registered Member

PM system seems to be down, so i through all the asked for information here:
    http://www.kipi-fan.com/Nod32 Files.zip

if an ESET programmer or administrator wants to take a look at it. I am still getting the 0x3fff error

NOTE: i only have the Anti-virus beta, not the security suite one, and the hotfix.exe isn't doing anything (i double click it, it shows a cmd window for a half second and closes)

EDIT: Its working now, (Method of fixing)
    Uninstalled, deleted:
    C:\Program files\ESET\
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Eset
    restarted
    installed Nod32 Beta2
    Right after that before doing anything ran the hotfix from: C:\Program Files\Eset\ESET NOD32 Antivirus
    Manual Updated

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  19. dansx6

dansx6 Registered Member

I am up and running the AV beta also, following this procedure combined with
    deleting the ESET entries in the registry under HKCU and HKLM. I am running Vista x64 Ultimate and I had to run the hotfix as administrator for it to work (as previously mentioned in this thread).

Edit: Auto update today (2519) without any problems

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  20. osip

osip Registered Member

ATLAST BACK IN BUSINESS!

Uninstalled,deleted all eset folders in doc&settings,cleaned all ESET in registry, reinstalled,rebooted:got an eror message that my licence expired and that a new v has to be installed...Pushed the update button nevertheless and got an update file on 7121Kb,rebooted....AND,went from 2502 to 2519...Seems as the problem is fixed...(in my case that is...)

21. Clweb

Clweb Registered Member

Now in addition to the error message for updates I have the antivirus protection disabled (red in systray).
    ESS beta 2 running in Vista 32 bits.
    o_O

22. scegg

scegg Registered Member

I done this before but: due to bad network connection, the update cannot be downloaded at once. After many times retries, error "base file missing" again.

23. Clweb

Clweb Registered Member

Uninstall, delete all remaining files and registry entries. Reinstall, it says license expired. Try to update: a 7MB update is downloaded, but it says base file missing.
    I repair and the same game again. It ends up with update failed, it shows license expired. All on Vista 32.
    Was a nice program, but for me the beta test ends, at least until release of a Beta3 or RC.
    PS:
    I retried an install after deleting ALL files (I forgot some before). It seems happy with update (says after that no update necessary), but license expired remains, and that means no more protection: scanning, scans nothing and I think firewall does not work either.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  24. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If the system date is actually correct, could you post a screenshot of the error here?

25. PnP

PnP Registered Member

me too cannot update antivirus.. windows vista ultimate x64... thanks

P.S. resolver with hotfix by marcos...

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.