ESS Beta 2 - Useability Issues

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by BarneyBadass, Aug 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarneyBadass

BarneyBadass Registered Member

The biggest problem most users have in trying to figure out how to use a product is the lack of consistent terms used within the product.

In this example I started by choosing the SETUP from the Eset Smart Security panel on the left hand side of the panel.

Then I cholse the Antispam module under that which presented me with the "Email Protection" frame in the top panel. From there I chose the "CONFIGURE" and it sent me to the appropriate in the display.

But being the fat fingered person that I am, I inadvertently hit the link on the "antivirus protection" tree at the top of the Setup frame. True the Antivirus Protection statement is at the top of the frame but it shouldn't it be in the top saying "Configure Antivirus Protection" instead of "Setup"?

Then when I choose the "ThreatSense engine parameter setup" button, again you don't know exactly what is being set up.

The blue title bar "ThreatSense Setup" should read "ThreatSense Setup - Antivirus Protection" That way one can be assured which arguments they are manipulating.... especially since these windows / frames / panels tend to like to overlay on top of each other. When this happens the EU needs to expend the additional time to ensure which parms they are attempting to update.

Remember, consistency is the key to making products intuetive and easy to use. Not everyone has a Ph.d in Computer Science | Math to figure out how things are related.

This is just one example of perhaps several that I've seen in less than 1 hour of testing / fooling around with ESS beta 2

Attached Files:

2. jackm

jackm Registered Member

I agree and top of that those terms are often abstruse.

On top of that the setup and configuration is still far too complex and convoluted for the average user.

How many threatsense setup pages are needed? Four?! Plus at least two more, one for each of the mandatory on demand profiles.

For example: Surely there is no need to be given the option for "boot sectors" in the threatsense setup for email protection!

Sure personalization is important but surely this is a bit much? They are trying to
    configure their anti-virus not launch a space shuttle!

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

That's why it is called Advaned mode , Advanced Setup Tree.
    The Standart one is on the other edge.

I agree about this and think that even though it is for Advanced users , they could make it a little bit easier and faster to configure - for example ONE button enable AH for everything or PUwA , or PUsA for everything .

I think it is not necessary to have a separate option for start-up scans , let it use the one for the real-time (like in NOD32 v2).

Overall it is good , just a little more tweaking :thumb:

4. BarneyBadass

BarneyBadass Registered Member

Another issue here is the splash screen can't be moved .

This is a real nuance and I hate it when SW developers beleive their splash is so ~Snip~ important that it can't be moved.

As it is; I've got 3 chunks of code that all come up and overlay each other during the boot process (ESS is just one of them).

Can you make your splash be able to be moved please?

~Snip~... such a PITA

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.