ESS Beta 1b did not detect Trojans?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by zen_virgil, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zen_virgil

zen_virgil Registered Member

Hello there! I have a question. I'm a NOD32 fan, a NOD32 2.7 user, just so you know. ;) My friend wanted me to reformat her laptop because it was becoming really slow. I suspected it might be due to a virus/worms because a lot of the windows features (Task manager, run at start-up..etc...)were disabled.

But since she wants it reformatted, I tried to install ESET Smart Security Beta 1b just to see if there are indeed viruses, but no malware of any kind was found after the complete in-depth scan.

I was having doubts of it not detecting any malware. So before I went to reformat the laptop, I decided to install Kaspersky Internet Security 7 (with ESS beta uninstalled, of course) for comparison. I was surprise that it did find a handful of trojans(?) (trojan.win32.agent.aue) in the Sytem Volume Information folder and some adware in the Documents and Settings folder which ESS did not detect previously. I'm guessing it has something to do with restore points?

So my question is, does it imply superiority of KIS 7 to ESS? :( Where did it go wrong perhaps?

2. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

I think the keyword here is adware as stated by you. I thought ESET main function is to detect & remove real threats mainly virus' and trojans', not adware. :rolleyes:
    That trojan win32.agent.aue sure looks like a handful of trojan(s)....I meant trojan :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  3. zen_virgil

o_O No, I have also mentioned trojans, if u looked at my post carefully.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Again, I can only add that no AV is perfect and none detects 100% of all threats. I could provide you with tons of examples where ESS detects a threat missed by KIS and vice-versa.

If you suspect that your computer is infected with an undetected threat, contact Eset's support and we will be happy to assist you in removing the threat.

PS: I could not find win32.agent.aue anywhere, please email it to samples[at]eset.com so that we can analyze it and add detection, if necessary.

5. zen_virgil

Okay, since this is still beta anyway, I can perhaps overlook this for now. I'm just a little worried whether Nod32 detection rates have gone down or still providing the same quality performance. :doubt:

BTW, I have quarantined a virus (VB scripter) in my Vista laptop. It appears that it cannot infect machines with windows vista installed. I'm gonna send a sample to ESET as well as to virustotal.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

You will never get 100% security with ANY AV, that's a matter of fact. Other AVs may miss what NOD32 detects so by frequently changing your AV you would expose to much higher risk.

I can assure you that detection rate of NOD32 has not dropped down. Quite the contrary, it's continually being developed, especially its advanced heuristics for detection of new malware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.