ESS and Seagates Blackarmor Discovery

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by SBMongoos, Apr 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBMongoos

SBMongoos Registered Member

I'm finding that ESS is interfering with the Blackarmor Discovery utilty. If I remove ESS this utility works. I've look in the ESS rules and don't see anything interefering. Any ideas? Seagates is telling me this will cause some issues when using the device in general.

The utility is supposed to device the Seagate NAS but it does not unless I uninstall ESS. In noticed when uninstalling that the Windows firewall was enabled, of course, and it blocked the utility. Once I disabled Windows firewall it worked. Seagate says it's designed to work on open ports but if that's the case this wouldn't be an issue.

Ideas?

Thanks....

Edit: in looking into the firewall rules I do see that "Block outoing NETBIOS requests" and "Block incoming NETBIOS requests" are set to DENY and I cannot disable or edit these. Seagate mention that the NETBIOS was likely the issue. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. SBMongoos

I'm going to look at the link you provided. Thanks! However, ESS has already put my LAN into the Trusted Zone. I have ESS set to Interactive Mode.

4. SBMongoos

After reading at that link I did find some changes to make and I did. They are under the IDS and Advanced options and then under Allowed Services. I went with what was suggested. However, this did not help.

Also, it makes no sense that if I disable all the ESS services that that I'm still dead in the water. I HAVE to uninstall it to get this to work.

I see ESS denies NETBUI and I wonder if this is it. I cannot change this setting.

o_Oo_O??

Anyone?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  5. SBMongoos

*bump*

Situation is improved. I know have access. Only by uninstalling and reinstalling ESS twice. ??

Still cannot access my laptop via my desktop both running ESS. I can get the screen asking for the login credentials but they fail.

6. tony_m

tony_m Eset Staff Account

Hi SBMongoos,

If you haven't tried this already, set the Personal Firewall mode to Learning Mode. Reproduce the issue and now all needed rules should be created.

Once the programs can be connected without problems, turn the firewall to Automatic mode, Interactive mode, or Policy-based mode.

Hope this helps.

7. SBMongoos

Thanks for responding.

I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling it twice and that seem to fix the problem. The NAS was discovered during that time apparently. I dead get some requests from ESET for some Windows requests. Kind of a pain though and I would have thought ESET would have made the requests while in interactive mode when I was connecting the NAS.

8. SBMongoos

I should say that I can access the NAS via browser and see it in the Explorer window but still cannot get Blackarmor Discovery to work while ESS is installed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.