ESS and Outlook issue?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by SBMongoos, Nov 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBMongoos

SBMongoos Registered Member

I've been running MS Office '07 for some time now. But for several months when I exit Outlook I see that Windows Task Manager still shows it running. Is it caused by ESS scanning the PST file so Outlook is not exiting in a timely fashion? I thought I had read this somewhere.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

What happens if you go to File, exit, in Outlook?

3. pegr

pegr Registered Member

This can sometimes be caused by Outlook add-ins. Try disabling Outlook integration within ESS to see if it makes any difference.

4. SBMongoos

Doesn't matter if I hit the X or your the method you describe to exit Outlook. The exe remains running. Eventually it will close. It takes a while.

5. SBMongoos

I don't see any Add-ins listed for ESS. I show three active:

1. Abbyy Fine Reader 9.0
    2. MS Outlook Mobile Service
    3. PDFM Outlook (Acrobat 8 )

I did notice near the bottom of the Add-ins Window a Manage function with a drop down pick list. If I select Exchange Client Extension from the list and select "Go" I get a window that shows:
    • Eset Outlook Plugin
    • Exchange Extensions Property Pages

Both are checked. Is this what you are referring to (just want to be clear). If so I'll uncheck Eset Outlook Plugin. I'm not aware that I'm using anything associated with Exchange. So maybe these get installed by default? Don't see the point of Eset being enabled in this feature.

Edit: Okay I unchecked the Eset Outlook Plugin but it simply disables any AntiSPAM function Eset has for filtering email. So it looks like email won't get checked. This doesn't look good.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Did some digging.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914909

7. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Yes, I was suggesting temporarily unchecking the integration with Outlook within the ESS configuration settings in order to disable the loading of the ESS toolbar as an experiment to see if this was causing Outlook not to close on exit. Disabling the plugin from loading from within Outlook should have the same effect though.

The point of this is purely to establish whether or not it's the ESS toolbar that's causing the problem. If it is, you'd then have two options: -

Option 1: Keep the ESS toolbar disabled, which as you rightly point out would be undesirable as you'd lose the integrated anti-spam and AV checking within Outlook.

Option 2: Keep the ESS toolbar enabled and live with the minor inconvenience of having to check Task Manager for a clean shutdown when closing Outlook.

Speaking personally, Option 2 is what I'd choose if I was getting this problem and I'd manage to establish the ESS plugin as the cause.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.